Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anybody longline with cranks along with jigs?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody longline with cranks along with jigs?

I typically longline from now until the water temps get to the high 70s. I normally run 0.8-1.2. Later I switch to cranks and run 1.8. I have been painting the chinese cranks for a while and have done some small shallow runners(4-6 feet) that have an awesome wobble. I bought these to use on my dropper rods in the summer but got to thinking about running a couple behind my Lil' Hustler boards. The cranks still have great action at slow speeds.

Does anybody run cranks along with their jigs/roadrunners while longlineing at slow speeds?
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I run cranks most all time. If things get slow I will sometimes
    take the rear hooks off a crank and tie a two ft line with a hairy
    tail jig on it. This method catches fish for me, but they are not
    always crappie.

dallman is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

mrdux I am very new to this. I did try with 2 smaller size crappie max lures from bass pro. All I caught was a channel cat. That was two weeks ago water temp was 57 and I was pulling 8 jigs and two cranks at .8 the small lures seemed to run ok. The water is a little deeper now and will try some 100 bandits tomorrow. I have been pulling at 1.1 since the water has warmed.
    Retired USN

Post Thanks / Like

I have tied a loop knot 3-4 feet ahead of the crank and ran sliders caught plenty but its heck when you get a big cat on and wraps up your lines

NickD is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We ran cranks and jigs at the LOZ crappiemasters tourney last week. We pulled flicker shads on the planer boards out the side and ran double jig rigs off the corners with Tadpole weights to get them deeper and get a better control of depth. Our speed was between .9 and 1.1. At those speeds with the Tadpole weight, it is pretty much a 2:1 ratio, so 20' back would get us down 10'. Without a dive curve for jigs, it's a nice way to know where your baits are at. They will work on a board too, it's just a little more work to adjust depths. It's actually a technique developed by Tommy Skarlis this winter at the Harris Chain FL. tournament.

Here's our set up (the jigs are about a 5' lead behind the Tadpole):

[IMG][/IMG]
    Official Off Shore Tackle Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3E...-nRh4HnQw/feed
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post