Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: High Vis line for a newb

Post Thanks / Like

Default High Vis line for a newb

I'm currently fishing a mono 6lb line. Starting out and trying to learn the strike of a crappie, would a High Vis line be more sufficient? TIA

Post Thanks / Like

yes

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6xd7 View Post
    I'm currently fishing a mono 6lb line. Starting out and trying to learn the strike of a crappie, would a High Vis line be more sufficient? TIA
    Yes: it's more visible, so it's easier to see the very light "tics" in the line, especially when casting and having a slight bow in the line from your rod tip to the water.

Strikes come in several different forms ... here are some that I've experienced :

"tic" .... one single, very small jump in the line (usually not felt)
    "thump" ... one single, very obvious jump in the line (usually felt, but not always)
    "electric" ... constant vibration in the line, like you're dragging your jig on a concrete sidewalk
    "slack" ... sudden slack line, when you're positive the jig cannot have reached bottom
    "sideways" ... line moves off to one side or another from the original point of entry into the water

... cp
    Likes fishervet, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The line color is only for you, the fisherman. The line color "may" effect the strike of your bait if the water is very clear but for the most part, high-vis line is just as good if not better than clear mono. Just make sure you have some clear mono for clear water!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone else yes you will be able to see your line better to detect a strike.

Post Thanks / Like

Vicious Hi Vis will serve you well

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely as long as you aren't fishing clear water. I use fluorocarbon and catch 50:1 over my buddy who uses sufix elite yellow when fishing clear water (15' visibility). He hasn't caught on yet! When the water is dirty the hi-viz line works great.. ESPECIALLY when they are hitting you on the initial drop after a cast.

In the clear water, it really is quite funny to watch the fish swim full steam towards his minnow/jig then stop about a foot away and do a quick 180 and run like a bat out of Hell. Heck they even do it with "clear" mono sometimes.. although its nothing like the colored line. With the fluorocarbon they don't even slow down and inhale the bait.
    Likes wvfishing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clear water

If you are fishing in a clear water situation, consider a micro braided line with a fluorocarbon leader, instead of mono. I suggest this for a couple of reasons. First off, if you are relatively new to crappie fishing, that "tick" that many refer to, may or may not be felt every time with mono. When I first started out crappie fishing many years ago, mono was about all there was, so we just dealt with it and got use to it.

These days there is a wide variety of quality braids on the market that you can choose from. Most will work with a good fluorocarbon leader. You MUST use a leader as there is little to no stretch with braided line and you have to have some shock absorption to prevent line breakage and/or tearing the hooks out of the fishes mouths when you set the hook.

And with most braids you can get in Hi-Vis, contrasting colors to aid in line watching. More on the plus side is that you will feel that bite much quicker with a braid/fluoro combo, than you ever will with monofilament lines. And the braid will outlast the mono by a very long time (A better ROI in the long term). Just change the leader and you're good to go!

If you switch to a light pound test braid, you will notice much longer casting distances as well and you will have a lot less line twist problems. Works well on spinning reels. Many, many advantages over mono - however some folks still use mono quite a bit, so opinions will vary. Hope this is of some help.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes wvfishing LIKED above post