Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finding the Biguns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding the Biguns

Help Please. I'd appreciate some advice. I'm new on the site but not necessarily new to crappie fishing. On my home lake which is a 96 acre privite lake located in West Georgia, 35 miles due west of Atlanta, I can find crappie easily (there's too many in the lake). Lately I've caught a few large crappie (nearing 2lb). I don't think I did anything differently when catching the fifty hand size fish verses the one large fish but I think I like catching the biguns more then the littleuns. If I were to go out and target just big crappie what would be the most important advice you would share? Thanks in advance and I'm willing to post results.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I'd Use Larger Lures Or Minnows, And Fish A Little Deeper.
    Long Term I Would Try To Reduce The Overall Crappie Numbers
    If There Are Too Many Crappie In The Lake, Big Ones
    Are Gonna Be Few And Far Between.
    Stocking More Bass And Keeping The Small Crappie May Help
    The Lake As Far As Larger Crappie.
    Just A Thought

John B.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks John! Yes there are too many of the little guys and yes I keep everything I catch. The freezer is full! My bass fishing is starting to suffer. This time of year I can bass fish for two hours and maybe find a couple or I can drop a jig and catch a mess of crappie. Guess which one I end up doing? I should have already specificied, I usually only troll untipped jigs the colors vary I usually check the mood and once I find the preference for the day, I'm set. I know long term some of the little guys need to go (trust me I do my part) but short term you say go deep, go big, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

I use grubs as long as 3 inches when I need to weed out the smaller crappies and the little ones even hit those. You are going to catch less small ones on the larger lures though if the conditions allow. Sometimes they will only hit small baits.
    Good things come to those who bait.