Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tracker boat ?

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tracker boat ?

I'm just curious about something. Owners of the tracker panfish 16 ft stick steer boat. Tracker web site states the boat will go 33 - 35 mph. With a 40 four stroke I don't think so.... if you own this boat please chime in and tell me your best mph.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for the tracker, but I had a 16' stick boat with a 25 Johnson that would run 23 mph. The rule of thumb I have heard is 3 to 4 mph increase per 10 hp. Over 30 is fast in a stick boat.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes DRPEPPER LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My fishing partner, Walt, owns one. He's had it for over 25 years now. We fish out of it 2 - 3 times a week, from the 3rd. week in April until the 3rd. week in October. He runs a 20 HP Mariner 2-stroke off the back. Clocked him on my GPS at 22 mph, wide open, with both of us on board and all our gear. She would flat out fly with a 40 on the back! We've fished together since High School (not all that time in this boat however, as we're both 70 yo!) and I wouldn't even want to guess how many fish we've taken over the gunnels of that sweet ride.

Be aware though that the person in the back is going to get a wet ride, especially if you're going through any chop due to wind, as the gunnels are quite low and the hull is rather flat. Outside of that, it's a great fishing boat for two people and a modest amount of gear. Also know that that old rig has popped it's share of rivets over the years. But they probably make them better these days.

Make sure you do one thing though, if you're serious about getting this kind of rig. Do NOT get a long shaft engine on it. It's not needed and you'll just reduce your top end speed by going longer. Look at the set-up from the side and make sure that the cavitation plate (plate just above the prop) is no lower than the lowest center line of the transom. Then you can adjust your trim to trick out your top end.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Lenny LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Pro160. Same hull different layout. I get 33 gps fully loaded with 2 people and factory aluminum prop. I dont doubt those numbers at all. I would like to raise motor 1 hole and do some playing with stainless props to get best setup.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a '98 model Tracker sticksteer with a 40hp. A few years ago I knocked the skag off and destroyed the 13 pitch the factory put on it. I need it back before the shop could replace the 13 pitch prop. But, they did have a 14 pitch in stock. It will now go over 30 GPS by my self. Plenty fast enough for a stick steer. Last weekend, a cousin let me drive his 20' boat that had a 225 hp. I didn't hesitatate to plane her out. But, I was shaking when my ride was over. If I want to do that, I would start racing again. Common sense sez to stay with my 30 MPH stick steer. DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
    Likes Lenny LIKED above post

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Id love to drive the G3 Eagle 17' stick steer boat with a 75hp Yamaha on it..........
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got this boat with a 40hp tohatsu it runs 25 of course im 6'7" and 340 lbs might have something to do with it. ...lolName:  uploadfromtaptalk1428421569104.jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  105.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    Id love to drive the G3 Eagle 17' stick steer boat with a 75hp Yamaha on it..........
    I would too. But I bet it would be faster with the 70hp. That extra hundred pounds will probably negate the extra 5hp.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen them on the water I would think 30mph is about right. My boat will run 35 on GPS and they will keep up with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    Dang, I wonder how fast that boat will go. Might be a bit scary with a stick steer but I would like to give it a try. I have always been interested in having a boat like that but never been sure that I would like the stick steering. Seems like it might be a bit touchy especially with a 75hp. But it sure would be nice to have the speed to travel around the lake and be able to sit in your chair all day and never have to get up or down especially the older I get, LOL. That would make for a comfortable fishing day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast