Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning how to dock shoot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning how to dock shoot

Can someone post a picture of how to hold the jig when your dock shooting. Really don't want to jab a hook in my fingers.......LOL

Post Thanks / Like

There are allot of videos on youtube.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest to NOT hold the hook end or you will eventually be hung! Hold by the head for safety and accuracy.

USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes Cmj, warbird, SpeckMaster, RWiske LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

2× what kickingback said

Post Thanks / Like

Also I would recommend going with someone that's good at dock shooting it will speed up the learning curve. This is one of the most difficult tactics to learn on your own.

Post Thanks / Like

Practice at the house. Set up something horizontal about 2-3 ft off of ground. This will give you the idea of how everything works together.

Post Thanks / Like

Most important thing is to hold your rod parallel with the water. Pointing rod up or down will definitely end in a misfire.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Good video thanks for sharing I could listen to Wally all day
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them
    Likes SpeckMaster LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes ... you definitely want to hold the jig by the lead head and with the hook point pointing away from your hand.

Here's a discussion from 2006 that might also help with the learning curve. Forget the specifics mentioned about my rods/reels, as they've changed over the last 9yrs .... but, concentrate on the actual shooting technique, as far as rod/line aiming & release timing. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ecnique-2.html

And remember ... the narrower the space your jig can get through, to get way back under the dock & in the darkest shaded spot, the more accuracy matters. At those times you want the jig to hit the water's surface just at the edge of the dock and skip off the water. So, while you're practicing your aim & release timing, make a point to not only shoot the jig straight into a bucket, but also to SKIP the jig INTO the bucket.

I'm also a believer that the quick little splashes, made by a skipping jig, are a more natural sound to the fish than a single splash ... as it may imitate a fleeing Shad or Silverside minnow, and get the Crappie's attention, making them look for the injured & sinking minnow.

And once I've completed a few rounds of shooting a dock, I like to follow up with this technique : Crappie Pappy Article

... cp
    Likes SpeckMaster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks for the help I'm going to try this out I'm more of a casting fishermen I dont spider rig or long line and this method should help me in my fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast