Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spinning reel help. Whats the problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning reel help. Whats the problem?

I have a reel that has a few years on it and still is very smooth, but when you are reeling it with some tension like a bait creates it makes a sound as the spool goes up and down. I've had reels of different brands do this before. I took spool off and the front half of the reel that holds the bail. I cleaned and oiled but still doing it. It won't make a sound when reeled whiled off the rod.

What do I need to do?

Thanks
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how your reel is made but some have gears in the handle part(or to say under the handle) they need to be cleaned out and regreased from time to time. Now this is the gears and they need grease and not oil. Alot of the time they have screws that hold a plate under the handle. Now I am thinking this is the open bail type reel. Hope this helps as they are so many reels now they are all made differently. Good luck with the reel
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

If you can be more specific as to who the manufacturer is and what model & size reel you are talking about, we might be able to give you a solution.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Its a US Reel 180sx
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of Braid line is noisy esp power pro as it goes through eyes..

Post Thanks / Like

Bail roller bearing. Put a couple of drops of oil on it and try to work it in.

Me, I just ignore it as it comes and goes.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dongotto View Post
    Its a US Reel 180sx

It's hard to say what the problem is without more information, but when I hear that a problem is apparent when the reel is cranked under line tension I immediately suspect a drag issue. Try loosening the drag all the way and then crank it down tight. Does the sound go away or change with the drag locked down? Lighten it to an appropriate level and try again. Does the sound come back, or is it different?

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to disassemble the reel, at least far enough to fully clean and inspect it. I didn't find a reel schematic or parts list online, but if you have the original paperwork there may be one there. I did see on a description of the reel that it has a sealed drag system, so if it is something internal to the drag system repair might be difficult.

If you don't mess around with reels much, here's a couple of suggestions. Put a towel or big shop rag down on your work surface. Small parts are less likely to bounce and get away from you. Use good screwdrivers with hollow ground tips that fit the slotted screws correctly and the correct size Phillips screwdrivers. You'll probably need a small pair of needle-nose pliers and some clamping plies or hemostats often come in handy. You'll want some paper towels or clean soft rags, a little solvent to clean parts, some light oil, and some light grease. I prefer waterproof silicone grease but I've used vaseline in a pinch and it works fine. Don't over lubricate, a little goes a long way and any more than required just gums up the works, attracting and holding contaminants. If you're concerned about remembering how things go back together, take pics as you go. You don't run across loaded springs that much in spinning reel drive trains, but they're common on spincasters. Avoid unloading any springs held in place with clips and have a plan for putting it back before you take it off. If you must unload the spring, hold the reel inside a box or tall paper grocery bag when you do it, so that anything that goes flying doesn't get away from you. Putting it back on is often a three-handed job so you may need a vise to hold the part the spring mounts on (typically the drive shaft), one hand to hold the spring in place and the other to reinstall the clip that holds the spring.

Hope this helps you out somehow.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post