Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First of 2015!

Post Thanks / Like

Default First of 2015!

I know it's Easter and while my dear wife is breaking her backside, with dinner preps for later today when the family arrives, I just HAD to see if I could find any open water. I did. At an old rock quarry in the hills. Proceeded to walk the shorelines with my 7' SHSS.

Ice was still on about 1/2 the pond (which averages about 15' deep). Cast a BGBS on a 1/16 oz. jig head and "THUNK". The rod bends and I bring in a 10" crappie. Not a giant, but it sure felt good after this long, cold winter. Picked up a small perch too, but then my hands got so cold I had to quit. Wind was pretty stiff today too, which made bite detection difficult and the cold more intense.

It won't be long now folks! Figure I'm going to set up the 12 footer this coming week, providing we get a decent day to turn her over.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Wish my pond would open up!!!! Glad ya got out!
    Likes Zippy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how you can take it! Grew up in northern NJ and those winters were long but you guys have it even worse. Ice fishing can only take you so far before you loose your mind. I live in maryland now, down near the ocean so we have open water 12 months of the year in the tidal rivers. I don't think I could ever move back north after living down here. Glad you got something on your first day out, that's always exciting .