Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telescoping rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Telescoping rods

Been thinking about buying a couple of the long telescoping rods with out the reel just for fishing off the front of the boat. Anyone use these or have comments good or bad ?

thanks, Stan

Post Thanks / Like

I use 'em! They're fun, and I catch a lot of fish with them.

I have them in lengths from 10-22'.

Most of the poles sold in the US are fiberglass and are best suited for 13' and below. If you want one longer than that, go with graphite.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them all the time. I like the B&M's and also the Shakespeare's they are real good for when the fish are not very deep. Here is what I posted just last night of how I use them. The post was asking if anyone used bobbers and I replied this:

That is the way I have crappie fished for years now. The wife and I use minnows with 6 -10' poles each with corks placed at different depths and setup just like spider rigging. When the one that is catching best is determined I set all the corks at the same depth. Usually this time of the year I can then stay in about the same depth of water with this setup and keep catch them. Sometimes we will have 3-4 poles with fish on at one time. Now when it gets hotter in the summer the fish are deeper and we don't use the corks and I have bought 10' reel and rods for that time of year when fish are deeper. But lately I have been trying different fishing techniques that others on this web site talk about. It is just hard to fix what ain't broke. So I keep fishing the same old way.

The poles that I was useing are B&M 10' very cheap price B&M's 10' Black Widow $5.59 each and I have even landed some big bass and catfish with them.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I used some slaters 14 foot telescoping rods at one time. They are indestructable!!!! But very heavy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking between 9-12 foot

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

At the price of the B&M or uncle bucks today you could buy some 10 and 12 Pinnacal's from grizzly jig and be happier in the long run. Just find some cheap line holder reels to go on them.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Rees Guide LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few different brands in 8 to 16 ft. They all have reel seats.
    Like cray said, get a cheap reel for a line holder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stanimals2 View Post
    Thinking between 9-12 foot
    There are a bunch of them in those lengths. BnM, Bass Pro, South Bend, and Cabela's all sell them.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you don't want to put a reel on them. If you do want to use a reel, I'd get a jig pole that has a reel seat.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 10' & a 12' telescopic pole ... but they're so old the brand markings are not readable. I used to use them to fish the button bushes on KY & Barkley Lake, back in the 1970's ... and they're still good to go, even now. A little elec tape, a length of braid about 2.5x's the length of the pole and a short leader of mono and they're ready to rock !! I use the braid for the main line, so that I can collapse them then wrap the braid around them without worry that it will maintain the coil. I use 2.5x's the pole length, so that I can spiral wrap the excess around the pole and still have a little over the length of the pole hanging off the tip ... plus I can break some of the length (or cut it, if it gets frayed) and have reserve line to recoup any lost length without having to totally re-string the pole. The elec tape is used to anchor the line at the handle end and the tip end (plus strengthen the tip end). I've lifted 2+lb fish out of the bushes with these poles, and swung them in the boat, with no damage to either pole.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have several BnM poles 10-13',I just added guides on the 13' and cheap reels.I use the mainly while anchored in crappie territory,I like to present the bait/ lure by flipping and letting the bait / lure fall through the water column.another favorite is vertically dropping the bait/ lure,hitting bottom,then working up through the column dead sticking for a minute or so between working the column.when I catch a crappie,I really don't set the hook as much as I lift the rod in a sweeping motion,lifting the fish into my kayak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast