Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wind (when to stay and when to go)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wind (when to stay and when to go)

If your fishing and wind gets up when do you stay and when you leave?
    I like a little wind but when does it get too windy that you just don't go?
    I like the wind from the west, south, and southwest best do you all?
    I know 2-5 mph is good but what about 5-8 mph, 5-10 mph, 10-20 mph?
    If wind is a little too strong how do you fish ( spider, vertical cast, horizontal cast, pulling, etc.)?
    Would it be best to anchor and just cast if wind is real bad?
    I hardly ever use anchors as I have found that they run fish off for me sometimes but it may not matter if wind blowing?
    What do you do on windy days fishing for crappie?
    Thanks for everyones feedback on this.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

one of the best days i every had i was single pole jigging at the rez. my feet were wet cause water was coming over the bow. i guess it just depends on whether or not their biting. i will say they're not as spooky when the wind is blowing and if there is more than about 6inches of chop drift fishing is near impossible
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Out of the west they bite the best. Find a lee shore.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to vertical jig live Cypress this time of year. More days than not the lake is white-capping. It doesnt seem to bother the fish at all, you just gotta know how to make it work to your advantage. I get directly down wind from the tree, as close as i can without bumping it, and pitch my jig past the tree. I let it swing around the tree with the wind-current and they usually slam it as it comes around the lee side. Lots of fun!!
    Open water, on the other hand, is much more difficult to handle in my 16ft flat bottom.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)
    Likes Tony the Tiger, scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on the boat for sure. I have a jon and I don't go out in anything more than 10 mph. I troll back channels blocked from the wind if there is any or I troll wind protected banks and drop offs with success.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have caught fish in some heavy wind, but I prefer to not fight wind over 15mph ... at which times I will find a less windy area. Problem with me is, no matter where I go to get out of the wind ... by the time I get there and start fishing, the wind has changed directions and is now making it difficult for me to fish where it was calm not 5mins before !!

A lot of the lakes I fish have high hills around the lake ... and the wind funnels down into the valley and follows the waterway, regardless of which direction the wind is coming from.

Over 20mph sustained winds and I usually don't bother to go.
    If I'm already there & the wind gets bad, I'll either find a semi-protected (calmer) area or head to the ramp.

Now, I have caught Crappie in main lake whitecaps ... once ... down on Douglas Lake (Tenn) ... dragging minnows (hook/sinker rig) about 50-60ft out from the boat (but probably only running a few feet deep, at best) ... and I have fished a tourney .... once ... down on Watts Bar Lake (Tenn) ... when the winds were blowing 30mph "sustained" ... and those that caught fish could only do so by getting in "behind" docks & shooting the docks from there (as opposed to being on the front/lakeside of the docks). But that was long ago ... I'm retired now, so I can pick and choose & not have to depend on "days off" to coincide with good weather or plan a trip months in advance.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fight the wind. Instead I go with it. Drifting in 10 - 20 mph wind with white caps has produced some fantastic catches for me over the last two seasons. I just drift with the wind, long-lining 1/16 & 1/8 oz. jigs dressed with various plastics. Over some 5 hr. periods, we have caught between 50 - 80 crappie, bluegill and even yellow perch using this drifting method. I love the wind!

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/the-n...tes/290009-73/
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on direction on certain lakes , some places offer enough protection when you really want to fish even in 20+mph winds.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the wind but have fished in 25 - 30 mph and gusty. I always verticle jig when it's windy and I'm exposed. Just set the spot lock on i pilot and let it work. Gusts will knock me 20 feet off my spot but the motor will make it back. Since I fish water that is rarely over 20 feet deep the chop of the wind can really help to make the fish less shy. Anything over 15 gets uncomfortable but the fish seem to like it.

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
    Out of the west they bite the best. Find a lee shore.
    Wind from the east, they bite like a beast.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast