Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Speeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Speeds

This may sound stupid but I was wondering about trolling speeds. I have a Garmin 320c Finder with speed but I also have a Garmin gps. Should I be using the speed on the gps over the finders speed, they are never the same. I was also how much line do you let out and how do you figure out how much line is out. I troll with a counter or determine by colors on leadcore. I wish they made a book on trolling for crappie like the book they have for eyes. Each lure, what speed. and lines.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gps only updates every 1 to 2 seconds. at 1mph, you only move about 1.5 foot per second. Not withing the accuracy specified by gps standards of 3 meters. The gps expect u to be moving above 1 mph to have any accuracy at all. If gps were accurate at 1 mph, then we would have gps position specifications of 1.5 foot accuracy. We don't have this accuracy ( military prob does). I don't care what anyones says about their gps accuracy. It is not mathematically possible to be more accurate (3 meters) than this because of the time /space intervals between gps satellite transmissions. I'll bet on this.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

The paddle wheel type will reflect water current also. So if you are trolling with or against the current, the paddle wheel will show the actually speed your lure is running at, while a GPS speed wouldn't. If you were trolling upstream with a current of 2 MPH, and a GPS speed of 2 MPH, your lure would actually have the effects of 4 a MPH speed.