Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: Favorite Artificial Crappie Bait?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jigs

35 100.00%
  • Beetlespin/Spinnerbait

0 0%
  • Small Crankbait

0 0%
  • Lipless Crankbait

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigging/Hard Bait Info?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigging/Hard Bait Info?

I've caught tons of crappie in my life on Toledo Bend, but its all been on live minnows. I now want to try to begin using different lures and jigs, but I don't know where to start. If someone could give me some tips, or point me in a direction that I can learn some things, I would greatly appreciate it.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Southern Pro plastics on leadheads . My favorites are the Umbrella 2'' tube in purple/ chart. The 2.5'' walleye tubes in colors solid chart or orange/chart in muddy water or in spring when bigger fish are aggressive.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. There are plenty of great photos of lures that people on the Jig tying forum make. Here is that link. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...-jig-pictures/ Here is an example of one made by my friend skiptomylu

Name:  Made by Skip.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  15.7 KB

If you see a jig that you like just shoot a PM to that member and ask if they sell them.

I personally make and use soft plastic baits a lot. You can see a lot of the soft plastic baits on the DIY Soft Plastic forum as many more post their soft plastic baits there. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-soft-plastics/.

My favorite soft plastic lure types are paddle tail minnow and the stinger type minnows. Fish those tipped with a crappie nibble and fish slow under a slip float. When you think you are going slow then slow it down some more.

Name:  ICY.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  12.4 KB

Name:  My Paddle tail.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  Watsit.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  14.8 KB

Name:  Basic Rig.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  45.9 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

What's your budget? What kind of fishing do you want to do, trolling, jigging, casting? Waht kind of lake are you fishing? There are so many variables that we could use a little more info on your fishing situation to give you the best advice.
    Not knowing this I can only suggest that you try jigging around visible structure like standing trees and bridge pilings. Use different color combos like black/chartreuse, pink/white, blue/white, or yellow/white. Buy you some small jig heads size 1/16 and 1/8 and some plastic tubes or body and go try it out! There are so many makers of lures that it is easier to buy a trusted brand like Bobby Garland Baby Shad. Good luck!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jacob2000 View Post
    I've caught tons of crappie in my life on Toledo Bend, but its all been on live minnows. I now want to try to begin using different lures and jigs, but I don't know where to start. If someone could give me some tips, or point me in a direction that I can learn some things, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Jacob, I started out just like you ...in a boat, fishing with minnows. A family friend used to go to the same lake, walk the bank and cast a small jig, and just wear the Crappie out. Tried that (from the boat) and it worked. Fast forward through about a decade of Bass, girls, cars, military service, etc ... and I'm back casting jigs and fishing minnows. And for the past 30+yrs, that's been my mainstay, but I've also added equipment that will allow me to troll & spider rig with multiple rods, when the situation warrants.

We don't have to point you in a direction to learn "some things" ... you're already there (here) !!
    to Crappie.com

And, as has been said ... we have members that produce some fine products, many of which rival the commercially available products and several that exceed them.

Our sponsors are also a good source of fine baits and equipment, and our members will give you their take on what works for them.

Here's a method that can work in many different scenarios, and doesn't require expensive equipment or any great learning curve to master ... I call it Vertical Casting : Crappie Pappy Article

You just keep reading through the forums, ask questions, join in on the discussions, and you'll learn plenty. Enter the contests we have & you may end up with a nice prize package from one of our sponsors. Attend any of the Crappie Camps or gatherings within your area, and you'll meet some of our members and get to check out their equipment & pick their brains for detailed information on how they like to fish, what they like to use, etc.

... cp
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jacob2000 View Post
    I now want to try to begin using different lures and jigs, but I don't know where to start. If someone could give me some tips, or point me in a direction that I can learn some things, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Read this:

Charlie Brewer's Slider Company - ******* Weedless Crappie Slider "Why&How"

The method works with ANY jig (not just sliders.)
    Likes jackie53, bowhunter63 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

As far as budget, I'm not sure how much I would need to buy, as my dad has a LOT of jigging supplies. I would like to jig and cast if I can find something that would be effective. The lake I fish for crappie at is Toledo Bend.

Post Thanks / Like

I am like you, with maybe a few months head start.What has worked well for me is finding a place you KNOW holds fish. Maybe catch one on a minnow to make sure. Then drop a 1/16 oz jig with a 1.5" panfish Assassin, BG tail, tube skirt, paddle tail or whatever.Drop it straight to the bottom and then reel up slowly to the depth the fish are, then pause. Let it sit for a full minute, then slowly reel one turn, and pause. A couple of tiny twitches, pause and so on. If you feel ANYTHING, set the hook, including slack line. Keep the jig in their faces, and it should work.If the bite is slow, I like to tip the hook with a tiny bit of worm, as I think hey can smell/sense he blood in it.Once you start catching this way, your confidence will grow, and you may end up jigging most of the time, like me.And most of all, enjoy the journey of learning a new method! -Tony

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jigging/Casting. We call it pitching for crappie.Pitch it to the cover brush/pile slowly reel back in.Much like bass fishing but with spinning Gear(ozark/Crapie Max (bass Pro) 7-10 ft rod,s,1000 shimano,Crappie Max 650/1000 reels 4 lb/6lb Mr Crappie camo and Berkly 10-12 lb nano-fil fishing line.1/16-3/16 oz jig heads,2 and 2 1/2 in Arkie tubes and Grubs.(really likeing the 2.5 in tubes Minnows are high priced and they sell you a dozen (12) minnows in our area(When I sold minnows)First job)I was told to give them at least 3 dozen if they ask for a dozen(13) for minnows.6 dozen if they ask for( 2) and they will die before you get them to the lake.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

B-N-M Poles have some really great videos that cover every aspect of Crappie fishing,Well worth a look.
    Share the outdoors with our Children.The world will be a better place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast