Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solunar effects

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solunar effects

I've seen fish go on a bite during a solunar period too many times to discount the influence. (I've noticed the influence on the activity of all wildlife since I began to pay attention.)

But as I think on it, it seems to me the effect is more pronounced on suspended crappie or crappie laying on the bottom than it is on crappie that are posted up on structure like stumps or pilings, or guarding spawning areas.

Anyone else see this pattern? Or am I reading too much into my experiences?

Post Thanks / Like

Just read an article a few weeks ago put out by QDMA from a five year study. There is no proof where the lunar phase has any effect on deer. IMO wildlife is wildlife, so I don't see where fish would be any different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brush pile View Post
    Just read an article a few weeks ago put out by QDMA from a five year study. There is no proof where the lunar phase has any effect on deer. IMO wildlife is wildlife, so I don't see where fish would be any different.
    I have followed solunar tables for fishing and I call BS. I have gotten skunked on 100% days during the peak listed times and have filled a boat on days where the percentage was around 20% during all hours of the day. I also have noticed that different fishing forecasts based off of solunar tables don't match up. One will say it is a great day to fish while the other says to stay home and the third just says average. If it is all based on solunar activity, there should be no differences in the tables.

I have decided to just go fishing when I want to go fishing. I don't get as frustrated by not landing a boatload on a day that some scientist said the fish will bite. It is more relaxing when I don't feel so pressured by statistics.
    Likes RMGeorge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Guys I don't question your experiences. I've caught plenty of fish during off-peak solunar influence. The influence is just that, an influence. If the conditions are otherwise bad, it doesn't mean there will be a bite. If conditions are good, fish won't be waiting for the next peak period. But I think the influence is clearly observable when the conditions are marginal.

I was made a believer one spring when I was fishing a good spot with some other pretty good fisherman. It was cold and the ice out bite was over. We knew there were crappie suspending there but we couldn't get them to bite. We caught a few here and there as the sun would pop out from behind the clouds or duck back behind them, but only sporadically. Late in the morning the fish went on a bite and we all began catching crappie and wipers. Fishing was really good for almost two hours, and then they shut down, back to a bite here and a bite there. I fished all day that day. I realized the two hour period coincided with the duration of peak solunar periods, so when I got home I checked. The bite was right on the major period, and it was a strong influence day. Since then I've been fishing on more than a few marginal days when there was a clearly defined bite and slim pickings the rest of the day, and that bite came during a major solunar influence period.

I hunt deer too and I think they are far less obviously influenced by the solunar effects. But I do notice the birds at my feeder and the squirrels in my yard are often more active during the peak periods, and I've noticed the same in the woods. Also, there are only a handful of peak influence days each month. During the rest of the month, the influence is much weaker and often provides no observable effects.

Fish whenever you can, but pay attention to the solunar influence. I think over time you'll see a pattern. It's just another tool in the toolbox.
    Likes jcozzz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MyGirlfriendBeatsMe View Post
    I have followed solunar tables for fishing and I call BS. I have gotten skunked on 100% days during the peak listed times and have filled a boat on days where the percentage was around 20% during all hours of the day. I also have noticed that different fishing forecasts based off of solunar tables don't match up. One will say it is a great day to fish while the other says to stay home and the third just says average. If it is all based on solunar activity, there should be no differences in the tables. I have decided to just go fishing when I want to go fishing. I don't get as frustrated by not landing a boatload on a day that some scientist said the fish will bite. It is more relaxing when I don't feel so pressured by statistics.
    Can't tell if you agree with me or not

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't go by the tables. I go by barometric pressure changes. Pretty consistent once you learn what the changes do to fish. READ about it.
    Likes chrispy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I also have had better luck with barometric pressure vs. moon phases. In my humble opinion a weather system will be more directly affecting the area your fishing where the tables would affect a very large area. Maybe even an entire Hemisphere?

Post Thanks / Like

I follow barometric pressure too. Another factor to consider. I've found a falling barometer after it's been steady for a while, but before the weather changes, may coincide with fish going on the bite. My barometer dropped a little last night and I see storms in the forecast tomorrow, so it will probably continue to drop today. We've had post frontal weather for several days and the fishing hasn't been very good. I'm going to go out later today though, hoping we may get a bite going before the next front comes in.

Today isn't a day with strong solunar influence, but I'd be out right now if I could be, fishing the major period of the day. I should be out during the minor period later today. We're coming up on the full moon though, and stronger influences for the next few days. Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to have two different fronts come through in the next five days, so the unsettled weather will probably be the biggest factor.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I fully understand there are many factors you have to take into consideration. You can't just consider one or two factors. But there are days when a lot of positive factors come together. Those are the days I make a real effort to get out and fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish when I get a chance to fish, and don't worry about pressure or tables or any of that. I haven't found a fish yet that can read or go by what someone else says they should do! There is more to fishing than just catching fish. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
    I also have had better luck with barometric pressure vs. moon phases. In my humble opinion a weather system will be more directly affecting the area your fishing where the tables would affect a very large area. Maybe even an entire Hemisphere?
    Solunar tables are calibrated to your location. Peak periods depend on the location of the sun and moon and so they will vary based on your location. I use this one Worldwide Solunar Best Hunting Times and the Best Fishing Times Forecast and Prediction Tables for your own Geographic Specific Location - Solunar Monthly Hunting and Fishing Times Calendar. You can plug in your zip code and get the local times of peak periods and it also shows the relative strength of the influence each day. Once you are familiar with the process, you can come pretty close with the help of a source like the Farmer's Almanac. It has the astronomical information and also the tidal information for Boston, which you can adjust to your location. The solunar effect is closely aligned with tidal forces, and yes those forces affect a lot more than the ocean tides. For example, I dont' need the tables to know the influence will be strong on a day a full moon sets about the same time the sun sets, and if other conditions are favorable that is a good time to try. If conditions are marginal, the only active bite of the day, it there is one, may well fall during that period.

The guy who popularized the Solunar Tables was John Alden Knight. His tables appeared in the sports section of newspapers and sports magazines for many years. He even wrote a book about how he developed the tables. He was intrigued when one of his friends predicted a bite, and the friend explained that he was just using patterns that were well known to commercial fisherman. That's why he began to investigate and ultimately developed his tables.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast