Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Crankbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Crankbaits

New to crappie fishing. Looking for some feedback on others success using specific crankbaits for crappie. Looking for suggestions to cover the complete water column. Realize that lipless will be needed pass 12-15 feet. Also would appreciate recommendations on colors for clear water. Thanks in advance for your help and tightlines.
    John M

Post Thanks / Like

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    New to crappie fishing. Looking for some feedback on others success using specific crankbaits for crappie. Looking for suggestions to cover the complete water column. Realize that lipless will be needed pass 12-15 feet. Also would appreciate recommendations on colors for clear water. Thanks in advance for your help and tightlines.
    John M
    IMHO ....

Lipless cranks are not necessarily needed for water deeper than 12-15ft ... unless you can't let out enough line to get a deep diver crank down to that depth, or don't use trolling weights.

Bandit cranks seem to be the most popular, but other brands are used with similar success. The guys I know that push/pull cranks are using rods from 7' to 20' long, line counter reels spooled with braid, 2oz (or heavier) trolling weights, then a 5ft leader of 6lb test mono with the crank of their choice tied on the end. About 45ft of line out, with a 2oz weight & 300 series Bandit, and they're fishing that 12-15ft range.

Color selection is probably best left to the fish. I'd run some natural bait colors, some dark, and some bright colors ... and let the fish tell you which one(s) they want, if indeed they have a preference that day (or that particular part of the day). Sometimes they'll mostly go for a specific color, and other times they'll hit every conceivable color or combination of colors you can think of

... cp

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You can pull a bandit 300 without a weight to 18 ft. deep with 160 ft. Of line out. You need 10 lb. Mono and a trolling speed of 1.8 mph to do this. I do it all the time in the summer. You will be 15 ft. Deep with 91 ft of line out.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Pushing them with a weight is a whole different ball game. You control the depth with a weight three ft.ahead of the crankbait. You want enough weight to keep your line at a 45 degree angle. Useing a line counter reel for example depth set at 25 ft. you will be running the bait at about 20 ft. Pushing really works better running shallower and is good in areas where you cannot make wide sweeping turns. Other than that pulling is best for deeper open water. Get you a bandit depth chart from Precision Angling.com for pulling. Also.....go to the Mississippi crappie fishing board and read the sticky....crankbaits 101 it is the longest thread on c.c and has lots of info.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, but I dont know if I'm ready to install all the rod holders on my boat to troll the crankbaits, whether it's pulling or pushing( take it that depends on where the rods are located front or back of the boat) If pushing( front of boat) I would want to try to keep the lines vertical? And the lines out of the back of the boat(pulling?) so many feet out to attain a certain depth? I will probably address the summer fishery for crappie with drop shotting a jig,twitching a rattletraps,spot,red eye shad, even try ice fishing salmo cranks over the suspending schools. If and when the majority of the fishing out of the boat is crappie fishing I might start trolling for fish. So, what I'm looking for in crankbaits is different types to be able to cover different depths of water by casting. I do appreciate the responses so far, and will take the time to read up on those techniques to get a better understanding the different approaches to be a successful crappie fisherman throughout the year.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The bandits will work casting. Caught them years ago on Bagley Balsa B's casting on ledges. Any good deep diving bass type crank will work. Your Salmo's will work if they are at a depth you can reach.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979