Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever used a Transom Elevator on their boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone ever used a Transom Elevator on their boat?

I'm looking at a 14' Alumacraft Crappie Jon which has a 15" Transom, but I already have a Long Shaft (20") 9.9 w/ low hours that I want to put on it. I was thinking about installing a Transom Elevator instead of trying to Jury-Rig the Transom to accommodate the longer shaft motor.

Was just wondering if any of you guys have used them w/ lower (10/15) hp motors. And if so, what your experience with them? Do they work as advertised?

Thanks,
    YB

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what kind of motor it is, it may be easier to change it to a short shaft. Thats what I did. On some models it only takes a few minutes once you have the parts.
    Last edited by Cmj; 03-29-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

I used this from Bass pro shop and it worked good for me. Mini-Jacker for Clamp-on Outboards

Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Mini-jacker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cmj View Post
    Depending on what kind of motor it is, it may be easier to change it to a short shaft. Thats what I did. On some models it only takes a few minutes once you have the parts.
    It's a 1990 9.9 2 stroke Yamaha. I know next to nothing about working boat motors but from what I could gather on line I thought it was only possible to convert a short shaft to a long shaft, and not visa versa. So that's good to know Cmj. Don't know if it is possible w/ my motor though.
    YB

Post Thanks / Like

I've looked at the Mini-Jacker's but when mounted according to their directions they only offer a 3" verticle offset, as opposed to the 5"+ that I'll need. That's why I was looking at the Transom Elevators, they state 5" of verticle offset.
    YB

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it would work just fine. I would when installing use some backing plate on the inside and some stainless bolts thru the transom to mount it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Mini-Jacker on my 14' Crestliner. When I bought the boat, I didn't realize it came with a long shaft Yammy instead of a short shaft. With the jack plate I was able to raise the engine's cavitation plate the the lowest point on the center of the transom; which was optimal. This is what she looked like:

Name:  Jackplate1.jpg
Views: 9982
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  Jackplate2.jpg
Views: 6316
Size:  92.7 KB

And this is what you need to achieve:

Name:  JP_3.jpg
Views: 7314
Size:  70.6 KB

Once you have your engine mounted this way, you'll be able to adjust your trim to obtain optimal RPM and top end speed.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crestliner is spot on.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the input guys, but I'm not quite understanding the math here. The Long Shaft motor is on a 20" transom now and the cavitation plate is level with lowest point on the center of the transom. The boat I'm looking to put the motor on has a 15" transom, which means I would have to elevate the motor 5" for the cavitation plate to again be level with lowest point on the center of the transom.

So, if I use a Mini-Jacker which has a verticle off-set (lift) of 3" that still would leave the cavitation plate 2" lower than where it would need to be according to my calculations. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
    YB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast