Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New boat advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default New boat advice

Well guys and gals, I am wanting to upgrade my boat, I crappie and bream fish mainly. I sometimes also like to anchor on downside of spillway and catfish. My wife is wanting to go more, she is not comfortable in my small 16 ft. I also hope to retire in 4-5years so this is the rite time for me. I want something that she is comfortable in, I don't care for speed, don't competition fish. 12-15k want to keep it around, cheaper if it will serve purpose, I mostly fish sloughs.
    I have 3 great hero's, John Wayne,Popcorn Sutton and Junior Samples, one of which is my avatar, Popcorn.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping to retire soon, and so I did the same as you are doing (but without input from anyone). Some of the newer boats are being built wider with the ability to have multiple seats in front for riggers. Maybe you don't rig, but the extra width allows two people to stand (or sit), and fish from the front of the boat. Look at lots of em before you decide. Take your time, and if you can wait that long, the best deals on new boats is Jan/Feb time frame. I went with a Ranger RT 188C, and I think it can be had for around $15 K as long as you don't get too ambitious on the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, what size motor did you decide on?
    I have 3 great hero's, John Wayne,Popcorn Sutton and Junior Samples, one of which is my avatar, Popcorn.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a bass guy for many years, but my body just said no more standing on that front deck casting all day so I sold my 20' Skeeter with a 200 Yam on it. Bought a pontoon, but soon found out that was not the best bost for long lining which I really like! Then I got a bass style G3 17'6" low profile aluminum nice boat, but she didn't like it because it rocked too much from other boat wakes. We do night fish some and tied up and bosts going by were not her happy time. So then I said to self this has to end and end well now! So I thought and looked very hard and narrowed it down to a Lund and another brand that was ecentually the same size and all. Then there was that 300 pounds difference int he boats so I started looking into how they were built and then the grade of metal and so is on. I finally talked to both companies about their boats and also finally found out why the 300 pounds. Keep in mind how shallow a boat can go in is important to me! It came down to the other boat company telling me we double plate the whole boat and Lund saying we double plate where it's needed, plus they start with an I beam running down the middle of the boat which is awesome! The. The design of the lay out with the gas tank in the middle of the boat bottom and the trolling motor batteries in front of that so weight distribution is great! Then one more thing is you never loos sight of the horision when taking off plus most every guide in Alaska uses a Lund says something! It's high sides make the women feel better too!

Good luck and hope yours is better than mine going through several to find the best!

oh and mine is a 17' with a 115 4stroke, but their deep V boats feel and look bigger for some reason. Have a friend that has a 21' Lund and it's huge!

Biggest problem with this is mine was a good bit more than your lookingrice, but they do make more regular looking boats that are what guides in Alasks use!
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alcooner View Post
    Thanks, what size motor did you decide on?
    I decided to go with the 115 Yamaha.....about mid-range for this boat. I'm not interested in going fast and the price difference between the 50/90/115 sort of made sense to buy the bigger motor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    I decided to go with the 115 Yamaha.....about mid-range for this boat. I'm not interested in going fast and the price difference between the 50/90/115 sort of made sense to buy the bigger motor
    The base price for that boat with a 25hp motor is $17700. And I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 90hp on that boat and those will run you $21900 with no other options.