Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie New Year

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Crappie New Year

Just want to wish all of ya a happy new year. My new year resolution is to try some new lake here in Cali. I did get to a coupe new lakes this year, Cachuma and Black Butte. Lets here what your plans are for the new year?

Any way tight line to ya all in 2007. :D
    Last edited by wrwest; 12-30-2006 at 10:54 PM.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy new years...

to all of ya in Cali from Louisiana!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

After watching all of the California football this past weekend, i asked myself "self, is there really crappie fishing in California?" They should be HUGE since there is only one season in Cali and that is "warmallthetime". Any size to the fish out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Yes there is crappie fishing in cali

boathead241,

To answer your first question, Yes, there is crappie fishing in California. This in our warm water lakes, when your move up in elevation in the Sierra Nevada Range It get to cold in the lakes to support crappie.

Second question, No, there not Huge, They are about the size as every where else that crappie are fished. Our state record for white crappie 4.8 lbs. for black crappie it is 4.1 lbs.

Your third question, No, we have more that one season and it's not warm all the time. Where we live, we have four seasons just like Ohio, there just not as sever. Summer time it gets over 100*, winter it get cold down into the teens. I wear long johns when I go fishin in the winter. It is not unusual to see snow capped mountain and hills.

Where the Rose Bow is played, in Pasadena that is in southern Cali. it is even milder there. For some strange reason around Christmas and New Years we get a little stretch of nice warm weather. That is when they play the bowl games.

When I was in the Air Force I was stationed at Lockbourne AFB South of Columbus Ohio. Fished several lake in that area. Then I did some work for the Government and lived in Lima Ohio for a while and fished there too.

Oh Yes The Buckeyes will be Number ONE...

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default here are some Cali crappie!

Bill what you up to buddy? My plans for the new year is to finish this tour over here and try not to go crazy with not being able to fish. But I will be home in the spring to fish the spawn on Truman and LOZ. You should try Piru, especially in the spring when they are up in the coves. If you need any info let me know and I can tell you where to try it at. From the bank or a boat. Hope you had a good holiday. Hey boathead crappie has some monster slabs in it. I've fished over 15 states and besides Mississppi it's my go to place for big slabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

BJC Guest

Boathead241,
    Generally. I would agree with wrwest that most of the crappie in the northern California lakes that have them are rather "average" in size... But, There are a few northern Cal. lakes that have kicked out some noteworthy-sized fish recently.

Clear Lake (famous for the size of its bass since planted with florida-strain) and Lake Camanche are among those that I am aware of recently (within the last couple of years) that have produced fish up to 3lbs...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there BJC and welcome to the Board...

The only lake that I have fished for panfish was Black Butte Lake out sode of Corning. I was up there at Woodson Bridge fishing for Salmon...

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Dave hang in there spring is just around the corner. Went out the Lopez the last day of the years the place was MT. There was about three other trucks in the parking lot and NO boats. Caught a few small gills. It was fun.
    Those where some nice crappie pics you posted there.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

My plan is to fish as many Lake as possible too. Nicasio Reservoir, Berryessa, San Pablo Dam, Anderson Lake, Coyote Lake, Indian Valley Reservior, Clear Lake, East Park Reservior and Camanche. Ill take photos of all my catches this year and post them here. Hope to see some you people there.

Also I am interested in putting together a fishing trip for us Cali Crappiers.. anyone interested?..