Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Watching ice out

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Watching ice out

Watching several ponds and lakes in north central Maine and it's going to be a bit before we see any open water. The average ice depth on most north of Bangor is about two feet, under the slush. For several to the south and east, it's almost the same, though the ice has more black starting to show near the middle. Average ice out for almost all of these waters is mid-April, so a ways to go.

Silver Lake, Bucksport; Graham Lake, Ellsworth; Field's Pond, Orrington; Pushaw Lake, Old Town/Glenburn, all had fisherman on the ice yesterday. A couple of ice fisherman have said last weeks wind enlarged the previously bored holes so changes are happening fast.

Stay tuned!
    Dave - Maine

Post Thanks / Like

I do with you ice soon. However, down here in MA, we're still looking at almost a foot of ice on most small bodies of water and thicker on the larger reservoirs. I don't think we'll be seeing many open spots for another week or two.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked two lakes that are usually out by April 20th and will check Silver Lake, Bucksport tomorrow. Pushaw Lake and Perch Pond have over a foot and a half of clear blue ice covered by a foot (or more) slush. We've had no major rain to float the ice, nor have we had temps over 50F (just one day) to help get things moving. Forecasts are for mid-50's to mid-60's for the next couple of weeks so we'll see. I could have the kayak ready and in the truck in minutes, though I need to get the 308 loaded with line.
    Dave - Maine

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from ice checking and don't think many of the crappie waters north of Waterville, ME, will be open before the end of the month. There are factors that would help open them, but none, including very warm weather and/or rain, are in the forecast.
    Dave - Maine

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely amazing! Since my last post, almost all the lakes within a 50 miles circle had ice out between the 18th and 22 of April. I'll be trying one of the ponds Sunday.
    Dave - Maine