PDA

View Full Version : Lowe Stinger

Marine4life
03-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Looking at a new boat, any feedback on the Lowe Stinger 175. Interested in the good and bad. Want a bigger boat than my 14 ft john so I can be comfortable getting on the bigger water and MO and Miss rivers. I also want the storage and live well. Just gettin into more fishing. I like the idea of not having carpet.

Gobob
03-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Well I love mine , The G3 is about the same. But not as wide, I've made some minor changes to it Rides good handles well very well laid out. Plenty of storage, IMO you can't beat it. Now before any glass boat guys chime in on ride and wind and all that. I can't have a glass boat I'm to rough I like to off-road in a boat if needed get back in those spots that might put a scratch or ding on it , That's why I got the camo stinger it hides the scars better than a glossy car show finish easy to touch up if you want to I like the scars each is a story lol

lowe175
03-28-2015, 11:43 AM
I like my stinger. It's very stable. Lots of room. Only thing I don't like is the wind will give you fits but if you let the live wells over flow and get some water in the hull it's not that bad.

ChrisDXT
03-28-2015, 12:30 PM
I have one and love it! Perfect crappie boat. Very stable ride good for a aluminum boat. I fish big lakes and the Arkansas river with no issues.

TurboDan
03-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Love mine!

kyfishman
03-28-2015, 03:29 PM
I like Lowe. I had one of their aluminum bass boats several years ago and it served me well. Then I got heavy into crappie tournament fishing and went to fiberglass boats for several years. The last I owned was a Ranger 188vx with a Yamaha 175. Sold it just a while back and am now looking at new boats. Have decided to go back to aluminum for a number of reasons. I've looked at Lowe, War Eagle, Xpress, Triton and Crestliner and have finally settled on Ranger's new 188c aluminum, with a 115 4 stroke. It is serious crappie boat set up for the crappie fisherman. I plan to do some guiding out of it and it has the room and stability of a glass boat. I've said all that to say this: You might consider looking at their Ranger 178c, which is just a bit smaller than the 188c. I have seriously compared them all and made my decision.

Shad
03-28-2015, 04:19 PM
I am also continuing to try to figure out what my next newer boat will be. I have a fiberglass 2005 Ranger and I am a Ranger fan. The only thing that holds me back from getting a new aluminum Ranger is that the casting deck doesn't set low enough in the boat for me. Everything on the boat is premium and first class but it seems more like an aluminum bass boat than a aluminum crappie boat. I do like the Lowe Stinger boat a lot. This is just my opinion.

Treeline
03-28-2015, 05:11 PM
I have a 175 stinger with a 60 hp suzuki four stroke..I like the width, livewells are huge,easy for me to load and unload (beach) by myself, I LOVE the suzuki..overall a very good multi species aluminum boat..if any real cons to this boat is as stated above..Wind! but that can be said of all aluminum boats.

windstone
03-28-2015, 05:38 PM
my stinger serves me well, but if i were gonna buy a new one i would, one, get the largest motor it is rated for in a four stroke, two, no carpet and three center console....

crappieseeker
03-28-2015, 06:01 PM
I have the Lowe Stinger 175 and I love it. I would not trade it for another boat. The only thing I would do different has already been mentioned. I have a 60hp on mine, I would go with the biggest rated 4 stroke you can put on it. Other than that, it is a great boat. Pm me where you are buying it from and the price and maybe I can tell you if you are getting a decent deal.

Marine4life
03-28-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I will look at the Rangers as well. I really don't want carpet. Not fun cleaning up after big blue cats puke digested shad all over the place. Can someone give me an idea what the 175 will run for speed with either the 60 or 70 HP?

nixon
03-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Although not a Lowe, I have a Bass Tracker 175 Pro Crappie with a 75 Mercury Optimax. I would think they would be relatively close on speed. With the factory prop and me by myself it would run 45-47. I trashed that prop on a submerged tree and when I went to order a new one I told parts guy I wanted a prop for a mercury 75 Optimax. I guess I should have been more specific. I guess I should have said a Mercury prop, instead he ordered me a Solas prop for said motor. That took it down to about 42(same pitch). Last year I installed a 24v 80lb I Pilot and extended the front deck back so I could put 2 new series 29 AGM batteries and onboard charger in it, in the front for TM. With this set up I could now remove one of the batteries from the back. Shifting all that weight to the front actually took it down to about +/-38....but it made it fish 100% better, especially in the wind. With that big motor (the 75 Optimax is huge, 386lbs dry) on back this boat always carried its nose high in the air catching wind and bouncing when fishing, now it does not. You might could experiment with prop pitches at this point and get some speed back, but its really not that important to me. I rarely if ever run full throttle anyway.

Treeline
03-29-2015, 03:53 PM
My 175 with 60 suzuki..will run 32 mph.

Gobob
03-30-2015, 09:58 AM
I have the 75 2 stroke on mine she runs 40-42, probably go faster if I had got the 70 hp Yamaha as it is a lighter motor, Didn't know the 75 was the sae as the 115 when I ordered it, Runs great , I would have went with the 195 with a 115hp but the main lakes I fish are 75hp limit , 40 mph is plenty fast for me, oh look a squirrel I get distracted easily lol

Cray
03-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Although not a Lowe, I have a Bass Tracker 175 Pro Crappie with a 75 Mercury Optimax. I would think they would be relatively close on speed. With the factory prop and me by myself it would run 45-47. I trashed that prop on a submerged tree and when I went to order a new one I told parts guy I wanted a prop for a mercury 75 Optimax. I guess I should have been more specific. I guess I should have said a Mercury prop, instead he ordered me a Solas prop for said motor. That took it down to about 42(same pitch). Last year I installed a 24v 80lb I Pilot and extended the front deck back so I could put 2 new series 29 AGM batteries and onboard charger in it, in the front for TM. With this set up I could now remove one of the batteries from the back. Shifting all that weight to the front actually took it down to about +/-38....but it made it fish 100% better, especially in the wind. With that big motor (the 75 Optimax is huge, 386lbs dry) on back this boat always carried its nose high in the air catching wind and bouncing when fishing, now it does not. You might could experiment with prop pitches at this point and get some speed back, but its really not that important to me. I rarely if ever run full throttle anyway.

Nixon, if your stock prop was aluminum and you put on a stainless Solas, try raising the motor one bolt hole on the transome and see if that dosn't help. Stainless needs to run higher than aluminum because of how they bite the water.

nixon
03-30-2015, 10:37 PM
Nixon, if your stock prop was aluminum and you put on a stainless Solas, try raising the motor one bolt hole on the transome and see if that dosn't help. Stainless needs to run higher than aluminum because of how they bite the water.

New prop is aluminum also. I'm not real big on stainless props, sometimes I get in some nasty stuff. Aluminum props are way cheaper than lower units. I did try a stainless prop a friend was trying to sell, forget the name now, before I ordered mine. That prop would actually lift the back of the boat so much that when you went into a hard turn under throttle the back of the boat would slide around on you. Kinda scary! Cray, it was on your advice that I moved my batteries to the front when I got the I pilot....best improvement I could have done. Fishes in the wind soooo much better now.

LowePro
03-31-2015, 02:21 PM
I love my Stinger 195!!!! It is so BIG and so much storage. Step up and get the bigger boat. You wont regret it. You get another entire rod box. I have a 115 4-stroke on mine and was told that it would do 50mph. Thats incorrect, try 39mph with all my gear. Its definitely no speed demon, but sooooo nice to fish from! I like my carpet too. Originally i had the same mentality as you about carpet. Carpet is NO problem seriously. I do just as much catfishing as I do crappie fishing and there is an easy fix to the puke and slime. Big rubber mat from tractor supply. They are less than $50. Lay it across the back, cut it to fit, and cut holes where seat pedistals go. This way you can put it in and take it out as needed. Can take it out of boat and wash it off. And then put it right back in.

Shad
03-31-2015, 02:32 PM
I love my Stinger 195!!!! It is so BIG and so much storage. Step up and get the bigger boat. You wont regret it. You get another entire rod box. I have a 115 4-stroke on mine and was told that it would do 50mph. Thats incorrect, try 39mph with all my gear. Its definitely no speed demon, but sooooo nice to fish from! I like my carpet too. Originally i had the same mentality as you about carpet. Carpet is NO problem seriously. I do just as much catfishing as I do crappie fishing and there is an easy fix to the puke and slime. Big rubber mat from tractor supply. They are less than $50. Lay it across the back, cut it to fit, and cut holes where seat pedistals go. This way you can put it in and take it out as needed. Can take it out of boat and wash it off. And then put it right back in.

Couple of questions. Does it have a stainless prop with 38mph? How do you keep the rubber matt from blowing around when running? Also, does the rubber mat have that strong rubber odor or does it go away?

Jdubwom
03-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Sorry

CrappiePappy
03-31-2015, 08:34 PM
I have a 2014 Lowe stinger 195 dual console for sale. White grey carpet 115 Mercury fourstroke mine will run 41 mph gps with the stock 4 blade prop. Only reason I'm selling it is I want a glass boat. 2014 trailer with aluminum upgrade wheels, 2014 motor.

I'll leave this as is .... but, any sales talk or transactions & discussion of price should be done via PM ... not in this thread. Or, if it's listed in the Personal Classifieds Forum ... all relative info can be posted & discussed there.

... cp :kewl

Jdubwom
03-31-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm just a minnow, didn't mean to break any rules or get anyone so upset. Won't happen again I assure you.

CrappiePappy
04-01-2015, 08:48 AM
I'm just a minnow, didn't mean to break any rules or get anyone so upset. Won't happen again I assure you.

Wasn't entirely directed at you, Jdubwom ... just a reminder to anyone that may be interested in your boat, or anyone else's "stuff" that they mention is for sale.

No blood, no foul .... it's all good.

... cp :kewl