Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any members own an Alumacraft Crappie Jon (14' standard model)?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any members own an Alumacraft Crappie Jon (14' standard model)?

There is a 2014 model one for sale locally which has a 25HP Evinrude (late 70's model) tiller steer which I am interested in.

My dilemma is that I would like to replace the 25HP with a 9.9HP 4 stroke so I can fish some HP restricted lakes but I am looking for feedback on how this boat will perform with that small of a motor. I'm not looking for blazing speed just want it to be able to plane out and run at least 12-15 mph with two adults and gear. I emailed Alumacraft about the 2014 specs and they sent me back this:

Length- 14’
    Top width- 64”
    Bottom width- 42”
    Side height- 20”
    Transom height- 15”
    Max horse power- 20 hp
    Boat weight- 330 lbs
    Max capacity- 2 people/ 550 lbs
    Hull thickness- .063”
    Seats- 2
    Livewell- 5 gallons

So as you can see it's already overpowered with a 25. Judging by the HP rating and boat weight, it seems a new or used good running 9.9 should work fine. I was just hoping a member happened to have this boat with a similar hp outboard and could give me some feedback from experience.

TIA.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an Alumacraft Deep Vee 14' with a 9.9HP Evinrude on it for years for PA. lakes . It got me around fine put definitely did not plane even with just me at 250#. I don't think you will plane that one with a 9.9HP either>

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one with a 15 Merc 4 stroke and It runs at 24mph with me and Billbob. Right prop might put you on plane with 9.9. I have a CMC tilt which really really helps a lot with power down trim for hole shot and speed. The little boat has good room for fishing.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I have one with a 15 Merc 4 stroke and It runs at 24mph with me and Billbob. Right prop might put you on plane with 9.9. I have a CMC tilt which really really helps a lot with power down trim for hole shot and speed. The little boat has good room for fishing.
    If I could get just half of your speed but still get on plane I would be satisfied. How much do those smaller CMC tilt units run? $600 or so?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CMC PT-35 Tilt and Trim 52100

Do some searching and you might find it cheaper. Might find a used one.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Pick ALUMINUM TILLER BOAT AND GO CALCULATING. Last page will give an approximate speed.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...tor/#/step-one

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have owned the same boat 16 ft for 29 Years using a 15hp Suzuki. The boat is a semi V Fisher that I had modified into a bass boat with 2 wooden platforms, wood flooring and 4 storage compartments, live well and rod locker. Due to the weight of the wood the boat is heavier than normal. Always was satisfied with the speed. I have just ordered another boat, again 16ft, aluminum with side console and this time will be using a 9.9 Mercury for the same reasons you want a 9.9, restricted lakes. The motor will be the Pro Trolling model which the dealer sales will give a little extra push but the boat will not go up on plane. This is fine with me as I am just interested in fishing and not worried about speed. I put a 24 volt I pilot on the front for the electric only lakes. Good luck with purchasing your new boat. Pop

Post Thanks / Like

My father in law had one the same size but Yazoo brand name with mercury 9.8hp electric start motor. We didn't have any trouble going up and down the river catfishing in it several years ago. It was no speed demon but ran pretty fast that I can recall.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I think you may be surprised at what a 9.9 four stroke will do. It's way more torque than the old oil burners. If in doubt, get a 15 and put some 9.9 stickers on it. I had a 15' War Eagle with a 15 four stroke that planed out fine and I'm over 300#.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast