Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wet Weather Jackets and Pants/Bibs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wet Weather Jackets and Pants/Bibs

I've started looking around to see what's available and thought the forum would be a good place to ask. I've worn out a couple of sets of Frogg Toggs and I see they have something called Toad Skinz, but not sure what the difference is...better or worse. I know there are suits out there that cost several hundred dollars, and honestly I probably would never buy something like that without a great reason. But what else is out there that some of you have tried and like/dislike? I guess they would have to be something breathable....the old days of vinyl rain suits are long gone(thankfully).

Post Thanks / Like

Cabelas goretex stuff is on sale for up to 50% off...I have a cabelas goretex camo jacket that I wear fishing in the rain - works great but not as free flowing as frog togs

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of the Toad Skins bibs. They are made of tuffer material than the original. Jacket on my list.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I've sold a lot of Frogg Toggs called "Firebelly Toadz" You can get Jacket and Pants or Bibs for about $110. They're a 2 layer system with frog toggs on the inside and a breathable outer shell. I bought a set for myself but sold it before I got a chance to wear it.
    I got a BPS 100mph suit best money i've ever spent, but its a little hot for summer pop up showers.
    Likes short grub LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had Toggs for a few years now with no problems.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Academy H2O Express Bibs and jacket. They are warm and keep you dry! Much less than Arctic Armor.
    If you go with a rainsuit, make sure it is tough enough to last a long time. It seems to me the Frogg Toggs are kinda flimsy when it comes to staying dry over a few seasons.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest waiting until you can catch some top notch all weather gear on sale. I would also consider buying either the jacket or the bibs and then buy the other piece when you find another sale. Cabelas bargain bin and ebay often have some good prices. I have the uninsulated Cabelas Guide Wear bibs and the Bass Pro, Pro Qualifier jacket and bought both of them on sale one at a time. Both items can be layered up for winter use and used by themselves for summer use. Very versatile and dry.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Likes chrispy, CrappieFlopper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All good ideas and info.....thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I've also been researching wet weather gear. I've talked to several people about the BP 100 mph suit and they said it leaked as well as the Cabelas gor- tex. Before I spend that kind of money on rain gear. I would check out a company called Gill. They make rain suits for sailboat racers and fisherman. You can do a Google search of the comparisons between Gill and the BP 100mph suit. And also check out Simms. I'm getting ready to buy some and I've really done some research on the subject. I bought a set of Coleman. It was 90$ for the set. It works in light rain. But here recently I was fishing a tournament. It almost rained everyday. And a couple of times there were torrential downpour's. And needless to say my 90$ rain suit will eventually be replaced here real soon.
    Last edited by Brian Stucker; 03-27-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the BP pro qualifier parka and bibs 2-3 yrs ago. Very warm in early spring but cool in the summer, I ve tried every brand of the less expensive brands they never seem to last. That might be due to rough use abuse ? These are holding up well. I got them on sale and used BP points or bucks. Pricey but worth it. I ve had no leaking issues as of yet. No matter the brand get the best you can or you'll be like me and waste a lot more money on sub par equipment then buy quality
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast