PDA

View Full Version : BEST FILLET KNIVES!!?

Crappieaddict12
03-26-2015, 01:20 PM
i dont like electric knives i get more done with a fillet knife! just wanna know whats the best out there not looking to spend over 200$ and what grade of steels the best!?

scrat
03-26-2015, 01:50 PM
A lot of people talk good about the "bubba knife" they are about $50-$60.:donoI like to use the electric knifes but wished they made better, faster, and stronger ones.:twocents

lowe175
03-26-2015, 02:28 PM
It's hard to beat a rapala about $12. There very sharp.

Erin Brewer
03-26-2015, 02:53 PM
I have been through dozens of mr. twister, american angler and rapala electric fillet knives and the best one I have found is a cheap black and decker from the kithcen appliance area in walmart. I have cleaned more fish with one black and decker than I have with ten mr. twisters. But I also have a browning regular fillet knife that is great!

kickingback
03-26-2015, 02:59 PM
I have the Bubba Blade 9" and it works great. I also use the electric when I have a lot to clean. It's faster.

Bunk
03-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Dexter Russell is what I use. They're American made and been around a long time.

LowePro
03-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Have you tried an american angler?

pescador
03-26-2015, 03:13 PM

^^^^X2

kountrypreacher
03-26-2015, 04:30 PM
I have the Buck folding fillet knife. Not made in the usa but still hold an edge very well.

dave the wave
03-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Tractor Supply has Uncle Henry bone handle 9 inch filet knifes for about 10 bucks. Holds an edge pretty good and well made.

DockShootinJack
03-26-2015, 05:17 PM
I have one of the Uncle Henry Bone handle and 2 of the wood handle Rapala's. They hold an edge pretty good. Burned up my old cheap electric knife and replaced it with an American Angler Pro. I hope to get to use it and see how well it works.

blackhawk961
03-26-2015, 05:28 PM
.Dexter Russell is what I use. They're American made and been around a long time.

:hesaid

RCC
03-26-2015, 05:34 PM
I have a Chicago Cutlery folding knife that works well on a smaller fish. I use electric most of the time, so probably don't need to be suggesting anything.

crappielimits
03-26-2015, 08:04 PM
Dexter Russell

matzilla
03-26-2015, 09:15 PM
I've been using the smallest size wood handled rapala for 21 years now...Jesus I am getting old lol! I've heard these are excellent Custom Cutlery - Fillet knives (http://www.customcutlery.com/fillet.html)

beshears
03-27-2015, 07:36 AM
Have two Kershaw that I like for about $25.

specktacklure
03-27-2015, 08:00 AM
I bought a Cutco fisherman solution knife about 5 yrs ago & have only sharpened it once. I sent it back to them for free sharpening, you just have to pay for shipping.
I own 2 of them now & have cleaned over 200 fish & never had to sharpen it yet, very durable with adjustable blade for around $100. Best knife I've ever used for cleaning any animals

Tiger
03-27-2015, 08:49 AM
Dexter, great knife

olduckhunter
03-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Russell. been using one for 40 or more years. I get mine at Memphis net and twine. they make a 7 inch and 9 inch. I use the non-stainless. on a side note for the kitchen they make the best paring knife too.

blueultra2
03-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Check out Forschner fillet knives.

shadboy
03-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Just look for "High Carbon Stainless Steel". And don't let them tell you that there is no such thing.

jnalley
03-28-2015, 10:08 PM
I've got a cutco sportsman's knife and is the best knife i be ever used for cleaning fish and deer holds an edge for ever life time warranty

lattehead
03-30-2015, 09:24 PM
i use a fallkniven f2z for filleting crappie and then the uncle henry 9" for skinning the fillets

Crappieaddict12
04-10-2015, 01:21 PM
thanks! i still want to try a new titanium knife

Dollfly
04-10-2015, 07:43 PM
I am on my fourth Mr. Twister. Its the last o ne I will buy. slow learner I guess!!

Hanr3
04-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Best fillet knife? A sharp one. The rest doesn't really matter. Stainless steel holds an edge longer and resists rusting.

jaoeyp
04-11-2015, 11:27 PM
After my grandfather passed I got his vintage Uncle Henry 167 filet knife, an older made-in-USA model. That knife would stay sharp for a long time and because of the full tang design, you could feel every bone as you fileted. Foolishly, I left my tackle in my car while I was in college. The car was broken into and all of my tackle, including the filet knife was stolen. I have since replaced it with another vintage model I found on eBay. Still a great knife, just not Grandpa's.

Don't buy a new one- almost everything Uncle Henry now is made in China, much of it to a lesser quality. Find one in decent shape on eBay that is stamped USA.

Also- learn how to sharpen a knife. This is a simple skill that seems to get unnecessarily complicated. Their are some great videos out there on how to do it. Fileting fish is hard one a knife's edge and there is no knife that will never need resharpened. If you find the task too daunting, get yourself some Lansky Crock Sticks or a Spyderco Sharpmaker- both are great systems.

arkansasbowhunter
04-12-2015, 06:33 AM
I use the bubba 9 inch flex and like it a lot. As far as sharpening going you need to invest in a work sharp knife sharpener. Very easy to use and fast! It's a belt system. Keep all my knives for in and outdoors sharp. There are great videos on the you tube also for how to use the work sharp. No need to send knife off to have sharpened. My kids can use it then any one should be able to use it.

jaoeyp
04-12-2015, 08:11 AM
As far as sharpening going you need to invest in a work sharp knife sharpener. Very easy to use and fast! It's a belt system. Keep all my knives for in and outdoors sharp. There are great videos on the you tube also for how to use the work sharp. No need to send knife off to have sharpened. My kids can use it then any one should be able to use it.

Be careful with motorized knife sharpeners. They can be great tools but you can also ruin a knife with one very quickly if you you're not careful. Some knife companies will void your warranty if you've used a motorized knife sharpener- it's very easy to get a knife too hot and ruin its tempering. Again, these are a great tool, but I would recommend learning how to sharpen by hand first- it's not that complicated and the tools necessary are much cheaper. I have a 1x30" belt sander I sometimes use to sharpen my knives. I've got belts grits from 40-1200 and a leather belt to really get things sharp. I still hand sharpen most of my knives. Most of the time the edge just needs a little touch up.

Granite
04-12-2015, 06:49 PM
:biggrinI use a 9'' breaking knife (google it) once you learn to use it,its like a bubba blade. I also use a work sharp knife sharpener on all cutting tools. If you can screw up a knife on a Work sharp sharpener you really shouldn't have a knife.

Hanr3
04-12-2015, 07:02 PM
I hand sharpen with Arkansas Sharpening Stones and honing oil. Have for the last 35 years. I get my blades sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm, literally. When I can shave, they are sharp. I've tried just about every method out there, nothing gets close to a whetstone.

Great thread, also reminds me its time to sharpen the kitchen knifes.

arkansasbowhunter
04-12-2015, 10:16 PM
X2 on hard to mess up a knife with the work sharp. I don't work for them and not affiliated with Em but I have let a lot of people use mine that have went out and bought one after using mine lol.

Big John in TN
04-13-2015, 03:06 PM
My favorite was always the Normark folding fillet knife, good high carbon stainless blade and very handy. Just fold it up and put it in your pocket. I think you can still find them on Ebay. I always lose the ones with the sheaths. Any Rapala or Normark are good. The Dexter and Forschner are very good knives. I hit my knives on a Dexter butcher's steel every now and then to keep them sharp, vey fast and easy.

Machine
04-14-2015, 06:14 AM
The best electric is the new American angler.

Best fixed is a Randall knife

cva34
04-21-2015, 08:21 PM
I have to agree..good price ,sharpen easy ,flex consistent,cheap to replace when loose or misplace sell everywhere

Tom 513
04-21-2015, 08:31 PM
I was going to ask how everyone sharpens there knives, but I see it has been talked about. I nomally use one of the hand held sharpers between filleting duties, then found out My local hardware store that I love sharpens knives, so I had them sharpen my BPS knife it has serration for cutting through the rib cage, and My Rapala, well they came back duller then when I took them in. I used to sharpen knives on a stone, but just dont have the patience and steadiness anymore.

sky hawk
04-22-2015, 08:42 PM
I'll save you some time:

Dexter Russell Sani-Safe S115F-6MO Softgrip Flexible Boning knife

$15, cheap, good, buy two. I've got the $100 Cutco, but this is the knife I reach for to clean crappie.

RayP
04-23-2015, 04:22 AM
I really like my Dexter Russell sold through American Legacy

American Legacy Fishing Co. - World's Best Fillet Knife - G Loomis Superstore (http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/american-legacy-fishing-co-world-s-best-fillet-knife.html)

I use it for all my fish and haven't used an electric since I bought it.

reeldad
04-24-2015, 08:51 AM
The Black & Decker electric from Wal-Mart will last forever, and is very sharp. I'm going on 6 yrs now with mine !!!!! Fixed blade it's hard to beat the old standard Rapala.

RayP
04-24-2015, 04:33 PM
I fished with a guide (Jim Doom) that specializes in the rivers below Ky and Barkley dams. He probably fillets around 50-100 lbs of cats and white bass a day that he guides.

He uses an electric knife off an inverter on his boat battery. I asked him what the best electric knife is. He held up a white Hamilton Beach electric knife and said "$25 at Wal-Mart"

He said he gets 6 months to a year out of one.

livemusic
04-25-2015, 06:00 AM
I bought a Rapala Heavy Duty electric knife. About $60 most places, I found it for $45 on Amazon. I also bought a Black & Decker electric knife for $12.95 at Walmart. I will return the Black & Decker, the Rapala is better. For filleting bass, anyway. Gets through rib cages better and is faster. More powerful, sharper.

You guys who fillet fish with a non-electric fillet knife... it cuts through rib cages? Do you feel it does as good a job as an electric knife and is as fast?

CrappiePappy
04-25-2015, 09:37 AM
I bought a Rapala Heavy Duty electric knife. About $60 most places, I found it for $45 on Amazon. I also bought a Black & Decker electric knife for $12.95 at Walmart. I will return the Black & Decker, the Rapala is better. For filleting bass, anyway. Gets through rib cages better and is faster. More powerful, sharper.

You guys who fillet fish with a non-electric fillet knife... it cuts through rib cages? Do you feel it does as good a job as an electric knife and is as fast?

I don't think most people cut THROUGH the ribs with a non-elec. knife, but actually cut around them .... from the dorsal fin down to the belly, rather than from the head to the tail like you do with an electric knife. :twocents

... cp :kewl

arkansasbowhunter
04-26-2015, 07:25 AM
I use bubba blade and cut through ribs. I have two of them one for taking meat/hide off the fish and the other for skinning the fillet. One knife never touches bones. Just you tube bubba blade.

livemusic
04-27-2015, 06:08 AM
I use bubba blade and cut through ribs. I have two of them one for taking meat/hide off the fish and the other for skinning the fillet. One knife never touches bones. Just you tube bubba blade.

I did find the youtube and that looks awesome. But it's not a casual purchase; those knives are a bit pricey. I have not had a problem with destroying an electric knife due to overuse like the guide does. The draw for me is that the guide filleted those crappie really fast. He's got it down. Do anything for 10,000 hours and you become an expert; he might've done that. He's certainly filleted 10,000 fish. I don't know that I would need two. I have a Rapala fillet knife and it seems that should suffice for cutting the rib cage out after the initial fillet is done. Thanks!

arkansasbowhunter
04-27-2015, 11:43 AM
True the knives are pricey. I don't represent them at all just use them. You could get away with a different knife for taking hide off. However the bubba does really well with the ribs and taking meat off fish. I tried the one knife method as shown on video but mine dulls after 20 or so fish. I just made it easy and have two knifes to keep the one for taking hide off very sharp which will use a lot less effort than a full knife. I was a electric knife purist until I tried the way shown on video. Not for everyone for sure but is quickest for me and when at a fish cleaning station I am always getting compliments on how fast I clean Em lol. Like all videos that guy is probably using a brand new one and it doesn't show that he has to keep it sharp. I find depending on size fish I can do 15-20 before I hit it on a steel rod to bring edge back up.

ESBguy
04-27-2015, 04:03 PM
I like the Rapala standard (non-electric) fillet knife. It helps to sharpen them before every cleaning, and put a good edge on them every year. It also helps (me, anyway) to have a fillet glove. I find I'm much more productive if I don't have to worry about filleting my hand.

wicklundrh
04-27-2015, 09:09 PM
I have a cutco that was 100 bucks. I like it okay. I have several forsner knives. Love them for skinning salmon, steelhead, walleye etc. Won a fish cleaning contest for salmon one year with it. I cut through ribs with that knife.

Pound for pound though, I use a wood handle rapala. I have the more expensive rubber handles too but I don't like the blade flex.

For sharpening any knife, we found a stone 30 years ago. After learning the proper way to sharpen depending on knife angle, all of my knifes (skinning, field dressing, fillet, and pocket knives) shave hair with no effort. This is how we test to ensure sharpness.

The stone is made in Michigan by Bear Paw and is an all ceramic stone. No oil. Wash with dish soap. They went off the market for 15 years and we bought one for friends and family in every off the wall place we could find them. They are back on the market.

My dad guided hunts in Texas, we had a salmon charter cleaning 15 to 40 fish per day, I was in the Marines and trusted my life to my knife. We allowed no other stone to touch our blades. People thought it was some magic trick we had to sharpen and we were and still are asked to put edges on peoples knives.

Those are my experiences. Pm meif you need information on the stone or the company to order it from

RayP
04-27-2015, 11:43 PM
I just bought one of the fine grit stones and one of the ceramic finishing stones from Bear Paw.

I always enjoyed sharpening knives and I inherited all my uncles knives when he passed.

He was a cook in the military and I remember him putting a edge on every knife before he used it.

A few of the fillet knives I got from him look like they began as a butcher knife and he altered them to be fillet knives.

When he filleted a fish he got every morsel of meat off of it. It was awesome to watch him work...great memories!