Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Full Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Full Moon

Full moon is on April 4th which is only less than 2 weeks away. Is that when the majority of the crappie spawn or does full moon not have a lot to do with the spawn? Yesterday, the keeper crappie where still out on the main lake ledges staging to come in. Water temp was 59 when I got there early. Was 62 when I left there late. We have a cold 2-3 day snap starting tomorrow. They will have to do some quick moves to the shallows for spawning around April 4th.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Water temperatures approaching the low 60's and the lengthening daylight hours are usually the main triggers.

IMHO ... the Moon is always "full" (the same size) ... it's just shadowed (partially or fully) to some degree, except during a "Full Moon". That being said, the Full Moon extends the time length of light shining on the water, and may provide a triggering effect. But, a full moon and longer periods of light do not trump water temperature. And in most cases, the spawn does not take place over the period of a couple of days ... it can & usually does take a few weeks, from start to finish.
    Even water temps have a "range" that's suitable for the Crappie to spawn in. They don't just wait for a magical degree to arrive. Some will be trying to spawn in the mid to upper 50deg water, and others will wait on low to mid 60deg water.
    If there's one thing I've learned in my 45yrs of fishing, it's that there are no "absolutes" ... there are only "ranges" & "trends", and even they can change, sometimes slightly & sometimes drastically.

... cp
    Likes SCOTTY1094, vic n, Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Water temperatures approaching the low 60's and the lengthening daylight hours are usually the main triggers.

IMHO ... the Moon is always "full" (the same size) ... it's just shadowed (partially or fully) to some degree, except during a "Full Moon". That being said, the Full Moon extends the time length of light shining on the water, and may provide a triggering effect. But, a full moon and longer periods of light do not trump water temperature. And in most cases, the spawn does not take place over the period of a couple of days ... it can & usually does take a few weeks, from start to finish.
    Even water temps have a "range" that's suitable for the Crappie to spawn in. They don't just wait for a magical degree to arrive. Some will be trying to spawn in the mid to upper 50deg water, and others will wait on low to mid 60deg water.
    If there's one thing I've learned in my 45yrs of fishing, it's that there are no "absolutes" ... there are only "ranges" & "trends", and even they can change, sometimes slightly & sometimes drastically.

... cp
    Thanks. That was the first time I have heard it described that way. It makes sense.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ... the moon's influence on the water has nothing to do with which phase it's in. That's just a matter of how much light it's providing, which could be extending the photoperiod*

( * Photoperiod definition, the interval in a 24-hour period during which a plant or animal is exposed to light )

It's also been said that spawning "normally" starts when the photoperiod is 13hrs long (sunrise to sunset) and "generally" ends when the photoperiod is over 14.5hrs long.

... cp

Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-25-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will some of your bigger females come in early. Normally, I caught some of my biggest crappie on the last week of March and first few days of April. Tended to catch more later but not as may many big ones.

I've seen warmer temperatures turn them on early and a cold snap shut them down. After a few warm days, you might see a big difference. I hear a lot of people are convinced crappie aren't here this year. I don't believe that's the case but will have a much better idea in the next week to ten days.

Post Thanks / Like

I am with you. I believe they are on there way.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

They will make several false runs having cold snaps in the spring or spawning can be spread out.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I have noticed about the full moon. It seems that the fish don't bite as good on the mornings of the full moon for me. I think it may be because they are feeding at night being able to see to feed and they are full by morning. So during the full moons or around the time of the full moon I try fishing in the evenings as I would think they were getting hungry again by then. As far as the spawn and the moon I think the posts above were explained mighty good. Thanks everyone as I am on here to learn more about crappie and crappie fishing myself.
    Be safe and good luck fishing