Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigs for spider rigging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigs for spider rigging?

Hey fellow fisherman, ive been rigging my egg weights by wrapping line through weight a couple of times instead of using a swivel. Can the fish detect the weight easier with it being wrapped like i do? Are swivels better to use? Ive even heard of people putting a little split shot at bottom of egg weight so it can swing free. All help appreciated Thanks.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Darrell .... I don't see how the fish could detect the weight any differently, whether wrapped or pinched or sitting on top of a swivel or clip. It's still the same weight, and unless they grab the bait and haul off through the water, the only thing they're going to feel is the tension from the rod tip.

I use speed clips below my barrel weights, and sometimes have a red plastic bead between them to keep the weight from damaging the knot. Then I use about a 12" leader line with loop knot to put into the clip & a jig head tied on the other end. The speed clips are a little more expensive than brass swivels, but I also use the clips for cranks ... so they perform double duty.

And I'm not, by any means, saying that my way is the 'best' way. In fact, I'm just getting started spider rigging and not sure I want to get too heavily financially involved, just yet, so I'm using terminal tackle items that I already have on hand. My hard core spider rigging buddy uses swivels, so they can't be a negative factor.

... cp
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Alright thanks for the response. I might rig a few with swivels and see how it does. Im fairly new to spider rigging myself. Im still learning.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Darrell, I rig mine with a swivel at top, tie a clinch knot, leave about 10 in dropper for top hook. Measure off 20 in for main line, slide on egg sinker them plastic bead then tie on another swivel. Then I tie on another 10/12 in dropper to bottom swivel. I tie on a #1 DuoLock snap for changing out hooks or jigs rather than change out entire rig every time I want to change hooks. This is just personal preference but just have never liked idea of strain on line wrapped around egg several times.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that if you wrap around the egg sinker when you snag up its gonna cause the line to chaff at the sinker break the line and you loose everything
    Go to podunkideas.com and check out the snake in the brush weights. They work pretty well
    Corn Field Crappie Gear
    Member Podunk Ideas Pro Team

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all responses.

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to experience heart break, just wrap the line through the egg sinker without using a swivel. If you fish much, you will get to see a big one break the line off where it has chaffed as it comes through the bottom of the egg sinker.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Alright. I think ill switch to swivel. Don't won't my line to break.

Post Thanks / Like

are you putting the swivel below the weight to keep it there....?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you put your weight on the main line. I like to then tie a barrel swivel then a leader. Most the time I have pre tied my barrel swivel on to my leader and jig head this makes for quicker reties if you break off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast