Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Could have been worse

Post Thanks / Like

Default Could have been worse

Okay guys I thought it would be applicable for me to share my mistake that happened to me yesterday. I've been pouring soft plastics for over five years but that in no way makes me an expert. I started soft plastics through tackle underground many experts there and always everybody talked about precautions needed to be taken at all times. Horror stories pictures of people making mistakes and getting burned badly always through the red flag for me to always wear proper clothing gloves etc.well yesterday afternoon I made a mistake and I paid for it so I just wanted to share it with you guys because I care about everybody on the site and how much you guys have help me and now I want to show everyone that is beginners here what can happen if you're not careful.for whatever reason and I honestly cannot tell you I remove my gloves I think it was to pick up a screw or something tiny and forgot to put my gloves back on. I was sticking my spoon in the cup of hot plastisol that had the top skin covering the top of the cup ( the skin of unheated plastic) when I plunged the spoon thought the unheated skin,the plastic burped back out of Pyrex cup, on my hand and gave me a 2nd° burns. I love this hobbie but it is very dangerous and needs to be respected no matter what level of manufactor you are! I'm fine but lesson learned! Please a note to all beginners read all you can wear GLOVES and long sleeves ! Amen! Later LB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Been there. And yes, wear gloves....making sure there are no holes in them. I have a finger just recovering, from something like what you show, when hot plastic found its way into a small hole. I use a knitting needle to pop those skin bubbles or should I say that I use the needle to pull the skin off to the side so the liquid plastic can rise up.

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch!!!! I can't link it from here at work but one of the guys over at Tackle Underground that has a plastics business had the same thing happen and his is REALLY bad!!!! I'll try and link to it tonight so the pics come through.

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

can't tell you guys how many times I myself but not bad . and I do use injector from bear baits which does not screw or lock on the head so my injector is very dangerous but I do have the others that block in screw on I don't like to screw on I liked a quick lock on you can never be cautious enough with doing this hobby one thing you want to make sure that there is nobody around you when you are shooting if they are make sure that they are off to one side or far enough away that the plastic will not ship them when you are shooting I have shot plastic and had the plastic go more than 10 feet and it doesn't take very much pressure with the injector to do this keep all your pets out of the way also another thing that you should remember is do not have stuff on the floor in your way always have a clear path to make sure that your benches clean and you do not have a bunch of stuff piled up all over the place things will happen pretty fast if everything is cluttered up just be real cautious and enjoy the hobby.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

That's a bad burn. Hope you get better soon.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been burned also. Prayerfully it was not severe. I encourage everyone to review the do not stickies at the top of this forum .
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes liftbite56, snake River LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had plastic shootout of the top of a mold where I did not have a good seal with the injector. It was the third mold I was going to in a series and plastic had cooled on the injector tip not allowing the proper seal. Plastic shot all over my gloves and shirt on my belly and on my wrist cuffs of my long sleeve shirt. Had I not been wearing the proper clothing and gloves, I would have had multiple bad burns over a large area. Plastics are nothing to play with. It is fun and rewarding but You have to respect it.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    Likes liftbite56 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    I had plastic shootout of the top of a mold where I did not have a good seal with the injector. It was the third mold I was going to in a series and plastic had cooled on the injector tip not allowing the proper seal. Plastic shot all over my gloves and shirt on my belly and on my wrist cuffs of my long sleeve shirt. Had I not been wearing the proper clothing and gloves, I would have had multiple bad burns over a large area. Plastics are nothing to play with. It is fun and rewarding but You have to respect it.CF

R-E-S-P-E-C-T given will save you from bad burns! We are telling you this up front so you do not get hurt behind!
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes liftbite56, crappiefarmer LIKED above post