PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird side-scan- HELIX SI anyone???

thill
03-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Has anyone bought/seen the new Hummingbird HELIX series 5 SI? This has a wide-screen format, but is a little "shorter" than the 7".

I've been wanting a side-scan unit, but the $$$ has been out of my range. This one retails for $499 at BPS, which I can afford, if I grit my teeth and take the hit.

I want the side scan because I'm near Lake Anna, which is a pretty huge lake, and I have no idea where any of the structure is. I imagine I can troll a channel or back creek, find and mark the structure on GPS, and then go back and fish it.

Is this a reasonable expectation? Does it really work this way in real life???

Thanks in advance!

-Tony

rnvinc
03-23-2015, 12:13 AM
Has anyone bought/seen the new Hummingbird HELIX series 5 SI? This has a wide-screen format, but is a little "shorter" than the 7".

I've been wanting a side-scan unit, but the $$$ has been out of my range. This one retails for $499 at BPS, which I can afford, if I grit my teeth and take the hit.

I want the side scan because I'm near Lake Anna, which is a pretty huge lake, and I have no idea where any of the structure is. I imagine I can troll a channel or back creek, find and mark the structure on GPS, and then go back and fish it.

Is this a reasonable expectation? Does it really work this way in real life???

Thanks in advance!

-Tony

Yes it really works this way in real life ...

Come on over to the Electronics forum and pic our brains ...
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishing-electronics-and-photography/

Rickie

thill
03-23-2015, 12:33 AM
Cool. Now here is a big question... What do you think of the 5" widescreen? Of course, bigger is better, but is this one reasonably useable?
Thanks.

-Tony

Greenwing
03-23-2015, 12:35 PM
For the price I think it's usable. You can view 1 side at a time if needed, scan at a closer range, and be sure to turn the readouts off on full screen SI. Small screen SI is better than no SI.

Denzil Schuerenberg
03-23-2015, 12:53 PM
like you i had to spend more than i should got the helix only had it on water 2 times but does what it say it will bigger would be better
would be hard to beat for the money. fish a little hard to see in si structure shows real good

Locator79
03-23-2015, 12:58 PM
I love mine, SI works great. Plenty of detail for the money.

thill
03-23-2015, 03:45 PM
This is sounding pretty good so far. I want to find an online manual to learn about the zoom functions.

It has a single cable input... Isn't that so it can network with another unit, or is that input only? The idea of saving waypoints on the SI and then using the bow mounted unit to fish it sounds perfect for the large areas it need to cover. So any definitive info on that would be great.

Thanks for the input and help so far!

-Tony

AGR751
03-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Bought one a few weeks ago. Still trying to figure out the settings so I can see stuff better. About half the stuff I mark is actually something worth seeing when I go back over with 2d and down imaging split screen. Just takes time! Great product and glad I bought it.

Rprince80
03-23-2015, 05:39 PM
This is sounding pretty good so far. I want to find an online manual to learn about the zoom functions.

It has a single cable input... Isn't that so it can network with another unit, or is that input only? The idea of saving waypoints on the SI and then using the bow mounted unit to fish it sounds perfect for the large areas it need to cover. So any definitive info on that would be great.

Thanks for the input and help so far!

-Tony

No networking capabilities with the Helix units

Here is a link to Humminbird product manuals HUMMINBIRD: OPERATION/PRODUCT MANUALS (http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/Product-Manuals/)

thill
03-23-2015, 10:32 PM
Great link- THANKS!

hey, it looks like the SI does have a single network cable output... NMEA 0183.

The following NMEA sentences are output:
DPT - Depth
HDG - True Heading, Pitch & Roll
HDM - Magnetic Heading
MTW - Water Temperature
GLL - Lat/Lon Position
GGA - GPS Fix Data
RMC - Recommended Minimum Specific GNSS DataVTG - Course Over Ground and Ground Speed
ZDA - Time and Date

HhWhen navigating, the following NMEA sentences are also output:
APB - Autopilot Sentence B
BWR - Bearing and Distance to Waypoint
RMB - Recommended Minimum Navigation Info

i hope this is correct!

-Tony

Humminbird_Greg
03-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Yes but that will not send a waypoint or waypoint coordinates to a second unit. You will have to go to a much more expensive unit that has Ethernet capability for that.

thill
03-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Bummer.

-TH

DockShootinJack
03-25-2015, 01:03 AM
Still sounds like a good unit.

thill
03-25-2015, 01:54 PM
I need to go to a store look at one in person. Maybe the 5" will work, maybe not.

HEY... I saw the 360 add-on, and checked YouTube, and that looks amazing!
Does this Helix SI unit accept the 360, and how much does the 360 cost???

And THANKS, by the way, for all the help, as I know nothing about these new units. I'm way behind the times.

-Tony

Humminbird_Greg
03-25-2015, 02:08 PM
No the HELIX 5 units cannot work with the 360 Imaging accessories. These need that Ethernet connection to work and the HELIX 5 does not have that...

Greenwing
03-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Don't think the Helix is 360 compatible. 360 requires a Ethernet connection

wannabe fisherman
03-25-2015, 05:18 PM
cost on the 360 is "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"

CrappiePappy
03-25-2015, 05:42 PM
cost on the 360 is "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"

:biggrin .... yeah, the "reduced" price at BPS is $1000 for the trolling motor mount system & $1500 for the stern mount system. And according to some of the reviews, you may also have to spring for some additional cable. And many reviews suggest that a small screen unit just don't cut it for getting your money's worth out of the images.

... cp :kewl

Dlogfish
03-25-2015, 09:22 PM
Just bought this unit last week and took it out yesterday for the first time. For what you pay the unit is worth it. You get pretty good picture even with the small screen. I notice that if you run the side scan with another screen up (regular sonar, map, or down scan) it gets pretty hard to see the detail. But if you run just the side scan by itself it is very easy to read. For the price it has tons of features (I really like the gps feature, even sprung for the lake master card). I am happy with the purchase. Just don't let the picture fool you It is not a big unit. Its screen is about the size of an phone 6 plus. But again for the money it is a great unit.

Zippy
03-25-2015, 10:34 PM
I had one for a few weeks and liked it. The picture was bright and clear. For my eyes the screen was just too small. I have been trading up about once a month and then settled on an 899 with side imaging. Didn't think the small screen that I had before including the helix would be an issue. In the end screen size really mattered to me against what I was hoping. If the helix is what's in your price and visual range it is worth it and works great. That screen is very sharp and bright, shows a lot of detail.

wannabe fisherman
03-26-2015, 05:02 AM
:biggrin .... yeah, the "reduced" price at BPS is $1000 for the trolling motor mount system & $1500 for the stern mount system. And according to some of the reviews, you may also have to spring for some additional cable. And many reviews suggest that a small screen unit just don't cut it for getting your money's worth out of the images.

... cp :kewl

you forgot to mention that you also have to buy a larger more expensive unit