Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hummingbird side-scan- HELIX SI anyone???

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hummingbird side-scan- HELIX SI anyone???

Has anyone bought/seen the new Hummingbird HELIX series 5 SI? This has a wide-screen format, but is a little "shorter" than the 7".

I've been wanting a side-scan unit, but the $$$ has been out of my range. This one retails for $499 at BPS, which I can afford, if I grit my teeth and take the hit.

I want the side scan because I'm near Lake Anna, which is a pretty huge lake, and I have no idea where any of the structure is. I imagine I can troll a channel or back creek, find and mark the structure on GPS, and then go back and fish it.

Is this a reasonable expectation? Does it really work this way in real life???

Thanks in advance!

-Tony

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    Has anyone bought/seen the new Hummingbird HELIX series 5 SI? This has a wide-screen format, but is a little "shorter" than the 7".

I've been wanting a side-scan unit, but the $$$ has been out of my range. This one retails for $499 at BPS, which I can afford, if I grit my teeth and take the hit.

I want the side scan because I'm near Lake Anna, which is a pretty huge lake, and I have no idea where any of the structure is. I imagine I can troll a channel or back creek, find and mark the structure on GPS, and then go back and fish it.

Is this a reasonable expectation? Does it really work this way in real life???

Thanks in advance!

-Tony
    Yes it really works this way in real life ...

Come on over to the Electronics forum and pic our brains ...
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishi...d-photography/

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Now here is a big question... What do you think of the 5" widescreen? Of course, bigger is better, but is this one reasonably useable?
    Thanks.

-Tony

Post Thanks / Like

For the price I think it's usable. You can view 1 side at a time if needed, scan at a closer range, and be sure to turn the readouts off on full screen SI. Small screen SI is better than no SI.

Post Thanks / Like

like you i had to spend more than i should got the helix only had it on water 2 times but does what it say it will bigger would be better
    would be hard to beat for the money. fish a little hard to see in si structure shows real good

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine, SI works great. Plenty of detail for the money.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

This is sounding pretty good so far. I want to find an online manual to learn about the zoom functions.

It has a single cable input... Isn't that so it can network with another unit, or is that input only? The idea of saving waypoints on the SI and then using the bow mounted unit to fish it sounds perfect for the large areas it need to cover. So any definitive info on that would be great.

Thanks for the input and help so far!

-Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Bought one a few weeks ago. Still trying to figure out the settings so I can see stuff better. About half the stuff I mark is actually something worth seeing when I go back over with 2d and down imaging split screen. Just takes time! Great product and glad I bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    This is sounding pretty good so far. I want to find an online manual to learn about the zoom functions.

It has a single cable input... Isn't that so it can network with another unit, or is that input only? The idea of saving waypoints on the SI and then using the bow mounted unit to fish it sounds perfect for the large areas it need to cover. So any definitive info on that would be great.

Thanks for the input and help so far!

-Tony
    No networking capabilities with the Helix units

Here is a link to Humminbird product manuals HUMMINBIRD: OPERATION/PRODUCT MANUALS

Post Thanks / Like

Great link- THANKS!

hey, it looks like the SI does have a single network cable output... NMEA 0183.

The following NMEA sentences are output:
    DPT - Depth
    HDG - True Heading, Pitch & Roll
    HDM - Magnetic Heading
    MTW - Water Temperature
    GLL - Lat/Lon Position
    GGA - GPS Fix Data
    RMC - Recommended Minimum Specific GNSS DataVTG - Course Over Ground and Ground Speed
    ZDA - Time and Date

HhWhen navigating, the following NMEA sentences are also output:

APB - Autopilot Sentence B
    BWR - Bearing and Distance to Waypoint
    RMB - Recommended Minimum Navigation Info

i hope this is correct!

-Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast