Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best minnow trap I have ever used

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best minnow trap I have ever used

4 leaf clover traps

I have used a lot of different traps in my lifetime and these are the best. I have made some of these traps to catch minnows for crappie fishing. I used 1/4" mesh instead of the 1/2" mesh so I could catch the smaller size. If you want just big minnows the 1/2" mesh would be best to use but I like the smaller minnow for crappie. Now they take a little time and work to build but they work a lot better than the store bought round minnow traps. The only way I know to catch minnows better than this is to use a cast net or just buy your minnows and you know minnows can be expensive. This hardware cloth and everything needed can be bought at Lowes or Home depot and most hardware stores. If you want to use a trap to catch your own minnows this is the best one period. Here is a youtube video showing you how to make one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52qMDXo1dhg

Here is one that I built.
    Name:  2 minnow trap.jpg
Views: 14215
Size:  21.6 KB
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good looking trap.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I have several for catching perch. They work great.

Post Thanks / Like

This trap is on my bucket list to make,but folks need to be mindful of their state laws.I believe in my state the openings can only be so big,if the openings are slits,they would have to be wired down to only 1" openings.Round openings are the same,1".

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

What Yaker said , some states only allow certain size traps on public waters if allowed at all.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

"folks need to be mindful of their state laws.I believe in my state the openings can only be so big,if the openings are slits,they would have to be wired down to only 1" openings.Round openings are the same,1". "some states only allow certain size traps on public waters if allowed at all."

Thats the good point to these traps that is if it is legal to use a minnow traps. Is that you can build it to whatever specifications you want or need. If you want it 24" or 16" with big funnel holes or small holes just do it yourself, how ever you want or how ever that it is legal. They do trap minnows good.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna make me one now. Of course Texas has the 1" law and the holes can be easily fixed to be only 1". No problems. I will put a few 1" openings on each side. Some cotten seed cakes Magic Brix Cottonseed Cake 4 # should do nice in the middle. I currently only have the small round trap with two openings on each end. Not much luck with that one in the past.
    Thanks Scrat!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cotton seed works as bait?
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

The best minnow net that I ever used was a umbrella net get a smooth flat stone soak a whole piece of bread than split it into two pieces, roll and flatten both pieces and put one on each side of the stone secure with a rubber band and place it in the center of the net. Then lower the net into the water and let it settle to the bottom take another whole piece of bread and soak it then roll it into a ball, then pinch tiny pieces of the bread off the ball and roll them into little balls. Then toss the little balls of bread towards the center of the net and let them sink, you should start seeing the minnow hitting and the bread as they enter into the net. Wait about 5 minutes then pull up the net and you should have enough minnows for the day if not try maybe one or two more times.
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The old clover traps got a few... thanks for reminding me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast