Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Already Need Some New Fishing Line???

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Already Need Some New Fishing Line???

I'm fishing 4 lb. Trilene line this year and am ready to change it out of all my reels now. Last year I used 4 lb. Berkley flourocarbon and was well pleased except for the coiling it began doing off the reels after it had been on the reel spools for several weeks. And it didnt get any better until I changed it with more flourocarbon off the spool. I've been fishing less than 6 times with new Trilene line on all my reels for this winter and have already had the line to break near the hook 3 or 4 times with the fish at the top of the water. Before I go back to the Berkley Flourocarbon are there any other suggestions I might want to try? I am still planning on staying with 4 lb. line.

BTW, all my hooks are being tied with polamar knots. They are good, solid knots that arent weakened by heat when tied like some other knots are.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

try and find some gamagatzu line, probably spelled wrong but a friend that is sponsered by them gave me some of their new line and it is great!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

8 pound Fire Line, 3 pound size, I'm using the same line now for over a year. Big $$, but worth it.
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

mr crappie line is doing good for us - for the money you pay you can change your line every other month - I like power-pro 8/1 line but if I get in a brush pile I pull the whole daggum brush pile off the bottom if the hook don't straighten out
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    BTW, all my hooks are being tied with polamar knots. They are good, solid knots that arent weakened by heat when tied like some other knots are.
    Go get some 4lb Gamma. Best 4lb I've ever used. Even though it pains me to say it, its better than sufix promix, but just a little. Super limp, awesome knot strength, stays strong even when scratched and nicked. So does the promix, but the gamma is more limp. It ultra limp. Its the only advantage it has over the promix, but its impressive. The one point where promix is way better is cost. You can get a 1/4 spool for 12 bucks at bubbajackstackle.com.

I also use the palomar nearly always, but don't think you won't get heat weakening with the palomar, you will if you don't lube the knot before tightening. I just use spit.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 12-30-2006 at 03:33 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Berkley Vanish

Stay away from that Berkley Vanish Line. That is the worst line I have ever used! Kinks like the dickens! I put it on a spinning reel & spent half my day trying to make it stay on the spool right, got mad took it off & tried to respool my reel the other way. It was even worse! Took it off & went back to my old 6# Trilene XL! :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I just switched over to the Cajun Red Smooth Cast. Have some reels spooled with the 4# and others with 6#. Haven't used it under extreme conditions yet, but it already is better than what I was using. Prior to the Cajun Red I was using Wally Marshall Crappie line. That line sucked. I had more problems with that line than any others I have ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had 4# trilene XL on mine for about a year and it will soon need replacing. Are your reels exposed to sunlight for long periods of time? sunlight will degrade monofilament pretty quickly. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default I too

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Manz
    I just switched over to the Cajun Red Smooth Cast. Have some reels spooled with the 4# and others with 6#. Haven't used it under extreme conditions yet, but it already is better than what I was using. Prior to the Cajun Red I was using Wally Marshall Crappie line. That line sucked. I had more problems with that line than any others I have ever used.
    have used the cajun red and like it as well but for the money I cannot complain at wally marshall mr crappie line it has done a great job for us and at that price we change our line quite often - that may be why we are having any problems with it
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

This is some of the best line I have ever used.

350 yards at $6.95 It comes in 4lb test also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast