PDA

View Full Version : Impeller

rocket rich
03-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Is there a right or wrong way to place the impeller in to the housing??? In other word the flapper's face how?? and what determines that:banghead

wannabe fisherman
03-22-2015, 03:03 PM
yes, shaft rotation, flappers away from direction of rotation I'm pretty sure that's right, old age thing, I'm not 100% on anything anymore.

rocket rich
03-22-2015, 03:14 PM
CLEAR AS MUD . i DON'T REMEMBER EITHER IT'S BEEN YEARS SINCE i'VE DONE THIS, WHICH WAY DOES IT SPIN, CLOCKWISE OR COUNTERCLOCKWISE LOOKING DOWN

wilbur
03-22-2015, 03:40 PM
On a Merc . Clockwise. Press down on housing an turn shaft CW. It helps to put a little dish soap on the impeller tips.

Slab Junkie
03-22-2015, 04:23 PM
IIRC it's clockwise on an Yammie too. I always take my phone and snap a photo just in case I start to question myself before I get the new one on. I put just a dab of white grease on the inside of the housing and smear it around but the dish soap does the same thing.

rocket rich
03-22-2015, 04:27 PM
I didn't do either that's why I'm asking on a 6hp evenrude

thill
03-22-2015, 11:15 PM
Looking down, turn the drive shaft clockwise as you press the housing down over it.

Grease the impeller and inside of the housing with waterproof saltwater grease. It will wash away eventually, but it helps protect the impeller for a while.

-Tony

lowe rider
03-23-2015, 08:33 PM
I always use Dawn dish soap to lube the impeller.

thill
03-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Soap will get it in, but leaves the impeller dry once it washes away. Grease leaves a lubricating film that stays awhile.

Every shop mechanic I've ever worked with greases them, and the shop manual instructs you to grease them. Why not just do what the manufacturer recommends? Grease is cheap!

-TH

wilbur
03-24-2015, 04:40 PM
I doubt the grease will stay much over a day or two. And will get on top of the gasket an defeat the purpose of the silicone. Vaseline would be a better choice.

thill
03-25-2015, 12:38 PM
The effects last much longer than that. I've gone back into motors months later, and the impeller is still "slick" compared to when they are brand new and "dry". I think the grease impregnates the surfaces, kind of like when you season a cast iron pan, if you are familiar with that reference. It definitely increases service life.

The service manual specifies "waterproof marine grease". Vaseline is a nice, clean grease, and seems to have good resistance to water, so I'd guess that would work okay.

You generally don't want to use silicone on a water pump, unless you are compensating for a heavily corroded surface below the baseplate, and in that case, I would recommend using Permatex non-hardening sealer under a new gasket. The grease does not affect that bond in either case.

There are often many ways to do things, but we stick with methods that give the best results for the customers, and most of the time that means sticking with what the manufacturer recommends. Our business is all word of mouth reference, and we stay very busy. But please understand that no insult to anyone else is intended.

-TH