PDA

View Full Version : down imaging vs side imaging

wbeadlescomb
03-21-2015, 05:42 PM
I know I want the down imaging but Is the side imaging really worth the extra couple hundred dollars? The only real use I think I'd get out of the side imaging is to be able to see up under docks and see if they are holding fish. May not even work for that?

Cane Pole
03-21-2015, 05:59 PM
I use side imaging for finding other peoples underwater stuff and steal their fish.

scrat
03-21-2015, 06:30 PM
I use side imaging for finding other peoples underwater stuff and steal their fish.

That's good to know I thought that I just didn't know how to catch fish. Now I know Cane Pole has stole all the fish:Rofl

scrat
03-21-2015, 06:46 PM
wbeadlescomb (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/member.php?u=57106); I would go to the sonar electronics forum on here and look at their pictures and decide. You can also see videos on youtube to show you more. One of the biggest things that I see with side scan is you save a lot of time on the water by being able to search a larger area at a time. Now there is an old saying that (for a nickel more I could have went first class). But we are not talking about a nickel here. Good luck with the new sonar.

wbeadlescomb
03-21-2015, 06:48 PM
If it was only a nickel here we woukd be good to go. But I hate to spend several hundred dollars for something I won't use

scrat
03-21-2015, 06:53 PM
If it was only a nickel here we woukd be good to go. But I hate to spend several hundred dollars for something I won't use

Thats why I am still using the old HB 565 technology. Hate to spend the money myself.

Cmj
03-21-2015, 07:03 PM
If you fish a lot of new water, si is a must, especially on lakes that have lots of bottom structure for the fish to relate to. It is nearly impossible to locate new brush piles on a meandering channel ledge or a huge open flat with di. You basically have to run right over the top of it, and good luck staying on the edge of the drop with regular sonar or down imaging. With si you can run paralell with a ledge, bank, stump field, whatever, and mark brush as you pass. Throw out a buoy and make another pass with di to check for fish. If they are there, drop a line. If not, you can move on without wasting any time. It cuts out a lot of guess work when you are fishing new water. Di/sonar is mainly for staying on brush and seeing what is in it once you have found it, which is fine if you primarily fish your home lake, and already know where the stucture is located. If you want to fish tournaments, or just plan to drive some distance to fish new waters, si is priceless.

Gomer Snerd
03-21-2015, 07:16 PM
never seen a wells fargo truck in a funeral procession.

wbeadlescomb
03-21-2015, 07:19 PM
You can carry all the money I have in a matchbox car lol. I'm tight I hate spending money

lowe175
03-21-2015, 07:28 PM
If you troll a lot it's really handy I use it a lot for that. If I see a school to my side I can turn and run over them.

eagle 1
03-21-2015, 08:25 PM
I hear you . wish I had down image .nonono

CrappiePappy
03-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Biggest advantages of SI over DI that I've seen .... is that you CAN tell which side of the boat the stuff you see is on & SI gives you nearly a full 90degs sonar ping to each side, whereas a DI's best range is about 75degs total. And if you get a unit that has both SI & DI ... and split the screen ... you've got the best of both worlds. But ... if money dictates that you would have to get a small screen SI/DI combo unit, then I'd stick with a DI unit with a larger screen for the same money. :twocents

... cp :kewl

wannabe fisherman
03-22-2015, 05:47 AM

If you had it you'd use it kind of like that baseball field, you know the one in the movie "build it, they will come"

Dutch
03-22-2015, 06:18 AM
SI is well worth the money...image from my HB 999...you can see the brush piles under the boat on 2D/DI and the brushpiles out to sides of the boat.

crappies nightmare
03-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Great pic describing it. I have 998s on both front and console. The more I learn how to use them the more I like them.

jhef
03-22-2015, 07:15 PM
ive had both and i liked the side image but im just as happy with just down image. i know if i see something on my screen then its under me. i just use the helix 5 di unit with no gps. if i fished big waters id go back to a side image/gps unit. but im very happy fishing smaller electric only lakes..

jaoeyp
03-22-2015, 07:29 PM
If you're only buying 1 unit, where you are putting it should dictate the answer to this. Front of the boat, stick with DI or 2D Sonar; console, get the SI. Pick based on where you're using it most. SI is best for when you are motoring through an area, looking for structure or schools to fish. Every HB with SI currently in production is also a GPS unit, so you can mark whatever you have found of interest as a GPS waypoint. Once you've done this and found a place(s) to fish, go to the front of the boat, drop the trolling motor and get on that spot with your DI/2D unit. To me, the ideal set up is two units that will network- SI on the console, DI or 2D up front, patched into each other so you can see waypoints on both, access the SI when you're up front, et cetera. This set up should help you put more fish in the boat.

thill
03-22-2015, 11:10 PM
If you're only buying 1 unit, where you are putting it should dictate the answer to this. Front of the boat, stick with DI or 2D Sonar; console, get the SI. Pick based on where you're using it most. SI is best for when you are motoring through an area, looking for structure or schools to fish. Every HB with SI currently in production is also a GPS unit, so you can mark whatever you have found of interest as a GPS waypoint. Once you've done this and found a place(s) to fish, go to the front of the boat, drop the trolling motor and get on that spot with your DI/2D unit. To me, the ideal set up is two units that will network- SI on the console, DI or 2D up front, patched into each other so you can see waypoints on both, access the SI when you're up front, et cetera. This set up should help you put more fish in the boat.

Is this possible with the new Helix SI 5 units? I just saw the widescreen for $499, and I'm thinking of making the leap...

Thanks.

-TH

rnvinc
03-23-2015, 12:09 AM
Is this possible with the new Helix SI 5 units? I just saw the widescreen for $499, and I'm thinking of making the leap...

Thanks.

-TH

Yes the new Helix SI is also a GPS Chartplotter ...allowing marking of waypoints out to the sides of the boat on the SI image ...

Rickie

Dutch
03-23-2015, 12:20 AM
I mounted my 999 on the bow...I want to see whats to the sides as I am trolling.

jaoeyp
03-23-2015, 09:05 AM

Thanks.

-TH

You may mark waypoints with the Helix SI 5; you cannot network with other units. The Helix series is a great way to get into GPS, DI, and SI. DI only is $249, 2D GPS and DI GPS are $299 and $349, respectively, and at $499 the SI is the cheapest on the market.

Cane Pole
03-23-2015, 03:42 PM

Yes, but just think how "cool" you would look scooting around the pond.

Gobob
03-23-2015, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't fish without mine. Just put a 999 on the console networked to the 1199 pm the front yes I spent a boatload of money but now I have room for fish lol you will not regret it