Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: down imaging vs side imaging

Post Thanks / Like

Default down imaging vs side imaging

I know I want the down imaging but Is the side imaging really worth the extra couple hundred dollars? The only real use I think I'd get out of the side imaging is to be able to see up under docks and see if they are holding fish. May not even work for that?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use side imaging for finding other peoples underwater stuff and steal their fish.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I use side imaging for finding other peoples underwater stuff and steal their fish.
    That's good to know I thought that I just didn't know how to catch fish. Now I know Cane Pole has stole all the fish
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Eagle 1, lowe rider LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

wbeadlescomb; I would go to the sonar electronics forum on here and look at their pictures and decide. You can also see videos on youtube to show you more. One of the biggest things that I see with side scan is you save a lot of time on the water by being able to search a larger area at a time. Now there is an old saying that (for a nickel more I could have went first class). But we are not talking about a nickel here. Good luck with the new sonar.

Post Thanks / Like

If it was only a nickel here we woukd be good to go. But I hate to spend several hundred dollars for something I won't use
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wbeadlescomb View Post
    If it was only a nickel here we woukd be good to go. But I hate to spend several hundred dollars for something I won't use
    Thats why I am still using the old HB 565 technology. Hate to spend the money myself.

Post Thanks / Like

If you fish a lot of new water, si is a must, especially on lakes that have lots of bottom structure for the fish to relate to. It is nearly impossible to locate new brush piles on a meandering channel ledge or a huge open flat with di. You basically have to run right over the top of it, and good luck staying on the edge of the drop with regular sonar or down imaging. With si you can run paralell with a ledge, bank, stump field, whatever, and mark brush as you pass. Throw out a buoy and make another pass with di to check for fish. If they are there, drop a line. If not, you can move on without wasting any time. It cuts out a lot of guess work when you are fishing new water. Di/sonar is mainly for staying on brush and seeing what is in it once you have found it, which is fine if you primarily fish your home lake, and already know where the stucture is located. If you want to fish tournaments, or just plan to drive some distance to fish new waters, si is priceless.
    Last edited by Cmj; 03-21-2015 at 07:13 PM.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

never seen a wells fargo truck in a funeral procession.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.
    Likes scrat, Cmj LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You can carry all the money I have in a matchbox car lol. I'm tight I hate spending money

Post Thanks / Like

If you troll a lot it's really handy I use it a lot for that. If I see a school to my side I can turn and run over them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast