Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slip Float Depth Control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Float Depth Control

Good morning. I use slip floats and have difficulty keeping the thread set from slipping on the main line after it become wet. You probably know this but let me tell you how I put on the thread in case I am missing something. The thread and bead come on a small plastic tube which slides on the line to the depth you want to set it. Slide the thread off the tube onto the line and pull the two ends tight. Remove the plastic tube. Put bead followed by float on line. Works for a while then the thread begins to slip. As crappie fishermen you know how this change in depth can affect your catch. Any hints, suggestions or tricks to keep this in place are greatly appreciated. Jump'n Jak

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont use the thread type bobber stops for that very reason..... I use the little rubber football shaped ones from BPS. I they are on a looped piece of wire....run you line thru the loop and pull the rubber bobber stop off of the wire and right on line. Works great and will stay set.....goes thru rod guides good too.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Cardsfan55, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    I dont use the thread type bobber stops for that very reason..... I use the little rubber football shaped ones from BPS. I they are on a looped piece of wire....run you line thru the loop and pull the rubber bobber stop off of the wire and right on line. Works great and will stay set.....goes thru rod guides good too.
    X2 but I ordered mine on Amazon, they are black and a little smaller

Post Thanks / Like

They come in red, black and yellow and work good on mono. Not so good on braid. The braid wears them out sliding them up and down. To keep the knots tied tight make sure when you first put the stop on that you pull it as tight as you can and leave some string (about 1/4 inch) on the tag ends and if it gets loose again take a two pairs of pliers or your nails and tighten again. They come loose from moving them around a lot.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes g6463 LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rubber elastic bead string.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I use slip floats for not only crappie, but for smallmouth bass & salmon fishing as well. Tried the rubber stops, but they tore up way too fast. And those "dog bone" types are a disaster for casting. The string ties are what I use exclusively now. Never had a problem and some of my bass & salmon rigs have the same stop on for most of the season. And I move them up & down quite a bit as well, depending on the depths I'm fishing.

What may be the problem is the type of main line you are using. I use both PowerPro and Fireline Crystal on 3 of my bass & salmon rigs. Two are set up with 8# test and one with 10# test. I tie a fluorocarbon leader on these rigs (Alberto knot) and have been very successful for over 12 seasons now. I use 2# test Fireline Crystal on two of my crappie rigs. Only one is permanently set up for slip floating. If I'm fishing water that is less than 10' deep, I don't use a slip float. In that case I'd use one of my other rigs with a spring float. Again, the string stops work just fine for me. No problems, no worries.

One other note; I use two pair of pliers to pull on the tag ends of the string stops when setting them up. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though, but like I say, it's been working really well for me for many years.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

If you choose to go with the BPS style bobber stops, be aware of the different size stops for different size lines. I use them exclusively and the only problem i have encountered is that on ONE of my reels, the bail is too close to the spool and it will hang.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

GO TO DENTAL OFFICE AND GET A BAG OF RUBBERBANDS FOR KIDS BRACES . WILL HOLD, CAN TRIM VERY SHORT . I ALSO USE THOSE LIKE "G" . GET THEM AT DICKS SPORTING GOODS MADE BY EAGLE CLAW .

Post Thanks / Like

tie an overhand or square knot with the tag lines of the string...it'll hold tight, sometimes too tight lol! I like the rubber stops as well but they're getting harder and harder to find locally

Post Thanks / Like

I use both the string and rubber stops,I have never had a problem with either.I have used the string stops for several months each year for bottom fishing for trout,I just slide it up the line when I lose a hook or the line shows wear.I pull the string stops pretty tight,a little spit or water will help snug the string better.One tight I snip off the tag ends to just enough to tighten again if needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast