Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dinks and water depth

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dinks and water depth

The other morning I ws fishing in about 10-12' of water at 5-7' deep and catching nothing but small fish, 6-8". I was in a bayou with the deeper water down the middle where I was concentrating my 4 pole spread. Is it likely that there were no larger fish or should I have changed my depth instead of moving to another location. I ended up not finding anything else.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I understand this and I maybe wrong is that the bigger slabs don't school as much as the smaller fish do . The bigger fish are more of a predator and are loners. They will hide around cover and bushwhack their prey kindly like a bass does. Now this is what I have heard and you know how that goes(you can't believe nothing that you here and only half of what you see). Now as far as the depth these fish were I at the lake that I fish have found that if the fish bite at one depth they usually all bite at or about that depth. Maybe others can tell me if they think this is right.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would always try just a little deeper (and sometimes even shallower) when dinks are abundant in one particular depth range.

If that body of water is cut off (more or less) from a larger body of water, it may well be that only a school of dinks moved into it.

Then again, if the water temps are getting around the normal spawning temp range ... the larger fish may be very shallow & the dinks are getting run off the banks by the bigger fish, and will have to wait their turn for spawning duties.

... cp
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say sometimes the bigger fish will be under the dinks but this time of year I'm going to say they were probably all little fish. Moving is usually the right move.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that gives me some things to think about
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in the spring the the big ones won't be with the dinks. I find the big ones shallow and they tend to bunch up by size.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs