PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new battery?

10point
03-19-2015, 08:59 PM
I'm getting ready to head south for a few days fishing. I charged my battery up to 100% the other night. I had my depth finder on for about 15 minutes the other night and I plugged the charger in tonight and it said 60%. So I charged it up again to 100% and it didn't take long at all to charge. About an hour later I plug the charge in and it says 85%. The battery is 3 years old.

scrat
03-19-2015, 09:10 PM
Have you checked the battery acid level? I know they say you don't need to but I have and still do check mine and keep distilled water to replace to the full level. You can also take your battery to a auto parts store like autozone, advance auto,etc. and they can tell if a cell in the battery is dead and they don't charge for it or at least the stores close to my location don't.:twocents

10point
03-19-2015, 09:12 PM
I have not checked the acid level. I assume you just remove those coverings on top.

10point
03-19-2015, 09:14 PM
Watching a you tube video on it right now

scrat
03-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Just be careful because the acid can get into eyes and blind you. I should have said this before anything else. Wear gloves and eye protection and don't get it on skin or clothing.

chrispy
03-19-2015, 09:23 PM
might have dropped a cell. It will still read 100% but have little or no life. Just had this happen to me. Took the battery to an auto parts staore and they put a load test on it and found the bad cell. Hope this helps.

10point
03-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Are you able to fix them when they have a bad cell or did you buy a new one?

scrat
03-19-2015, 09:47 PM
If it has a dead cell it is (scrap) no good anymore. But take it with you when you go buy the new one or the core charge will cost you.

RiceRocket
03-20-2015, 06:01 AM
If it was me , I would get a new battery ! RR

10point
03-20-2015, 06:48 AM
If it was me , I would get a new battery ! RR

Sounds like a good plan. I went past autozone on the way to work this morning and they said it was good but it was at 62%. It was at 100% last night and I haven't used it. I especially don't want to have to worry about a better problem when I go go Canada in June.

10point
03-20-2015, 07:08 AM
I did leave it out in the garage all winter and it got pretty cold. Maybe that's part of the problem? In previous years I brought it in.

Ranger R61
03-20-2015, 07:16 AM
get a new one and have one less worry

cva34
03-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Have you checked the battery acid level? I know they say you don't need to but I have and still do check mine and keep distilled water to replace to the full level. You can also take your battery to a auto parts store like autozone, advance auto,etc. and they can tell if a cell in the battery is dead and they don't charge for it or at least the stores close to my location don't.:twocents

Gota go with SCRAT

skeetbum
03-20-2015, 08:11 AM
If you don't replace it now you will be replacing it within the next year or two anyway. Everyone has different opinions on this but I feel anything over 3 years is gratis. If it's a 24 volt system for the TM you will need to replace both. The weaker one will shorten the life of the newer one, or so I was told by several folks when I did mine. Also, one more thing off your mind that will let you focus on the fish, I hear Canada has a few.

10point
03-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Going to get one at lunch. It's a 12 volt system. Menards has them for $60 after rebate this week. Heading to Nashville tomorrow to visit friends/vacation for spring break and plan on doing a little fishing also.

chrispy
03-20-2015, 02:36 PM
Sorry for the late answer. As with this great forum there wasn't a shortage of great answers. I used Auto zone as well.peace of mind will be well worth the purchase.

Eager Beaver
03-20-2015, 07:59 PM
Get the best deep cycle battery you can get. The cheapest isn't always the best. When you had your battery in the garage did you have it sitting on the concrete floor? That will draw a battery down pretty quick. EB

Dlogfish
03-20-2015, 08:12 PM
You can take it in to most auto parts stores and they test batteries for free.

CrappiePappy
03-21-2015, 09:26 AM
When you had your battery in the garage did you have it sitting on the concrete floor? That will draw a battery down pretty quick. EB

Not anymore, Beave. The hard plastic cases of today's batteries will not conduct an elec. charge outside the casing, whether it's sitting on a concrete/cement floor or in a pool of water.

... cp :kewl

Slab Junkie
03-22-2015, 04:19 PM
I know you already said you replaced it but just for future reference....get yourself a digital multimeter. Charge the battery to 100% then let it sit overnight and check it with the meter. If it is 12.4 volts or less replace it. A good fresh fully charge battery should be 13.0-13.1 volts and as they loose life they spiral downward in voltage. A battery that is 12.4 or less has lost most of it's useful life and is on fast track to death. Best to go ahead and replace it then and not get stuck on the water or be out there trying to pull start, which is not good for todays newer motors as they need the reserve power to run high pressure fuel pumps and on-board computers. IMO every boat owner should have a multimeter and learn the basics of using it. It will also help you run down trailer lighting problems, boat switch issues and other gremlins. I won't be without one.