Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Moon, New Moon ?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Full Moon, New Moon ?

I have always thought that the full moon was perigee, and the new moon was apogee. I know the moon circles the earth about every 28 days, but apparently there is also something else that comes into play. It is some kind of an 8 year moon path thing? I have always believed that the full moon was when the moon was closest to earth, and the new moon was when the moon was futherest from earth. Apparently, I have been wrong all these years. Any lunartics here? I have been misguided!
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I have always thought that the full moon was perigee, and the new moon was apogee. I know the moon circles the earth about every 28 days, but apparently there is also something else that comes into play. It is some kind of an 8 year moon path thing? I have always believed that the full moon was when the moon was closest to earth, and the new moon was when the moon was futherest from earth. Apparently, I have been wrong all these years. Any lunartics here? I have been misguided!
    New Moon is when the earth is between the moon and the sun. the moon goes around the earth something like every 28 days or so.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Default not me

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I am just a loonatic
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used these calenders all year and they have been right on 80 percent of the time. I have had better luck on the days after the new moon.In January I expect to do well on the 13th & 14th.
    http://www.fishsniffer.com/moonphase/january05.html
    Last edited by FalconSmitty; 12-31-2004 at 09:31 PM. Reason: pic

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Not only does the moon revolve around the earth but the earth is spinning at the same time. We get tides twice a day I think. Don't live near an ocean or I would have studied the tides better.

Full moon is when the sun's light rays are bouncing off the moon's surface and coming back to earth exposing the entire moon. It has to do with the relationship between the earth, moon and the sun. If the moon is between the Earth and the sun you won't see any sunlight reflected off the moon's surface. You may see the moon blocking out the sunlight and the sunlight coming around the edges of the moon during a lunar eclipse. But when the Earth is between the moon and the sun you can see the light reflecting off the moon's surface at times.

Not sure what the orbit of the moon looks like though. Something else I need to brush up on.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

What???????????? The earth is spinning????????

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know alot about many things but I do know we do have 2 high tides and to low tides every day and they occur about every 12 hours - with the times dropping back almost an hour every day - the earth is spinning Brother Wood about as half as fast as the gray matter between your ears :D
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks king, i learned that the earth was spinning in about the third grade, but thanks for the comment about between my ears

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy
    What???????????? The earth is spinning????????
    Thank God! I thought it was me.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

whiplash Guest

Question moon phases

back when I was still young and could see to read I caught caught -up with worrying about the moons <> read lots of books but by the time I got all my times figured out it was to late to fish that day , the moons orbit is not a circle , it is elongated so the [perigee or apogee] ? ,is when the moon is the closest and the other is when it,s the farthest ,don,t remember which is which
    whiplash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast