Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone have a Carolina Skiff?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone have a Carolina Skiff?

I'm looking at a new boat. Will mostly be using it in lakes and bayou of East Texas and Louisiana. May get into some smaller bays along the coast. There is about a $2000 cost difference between each.

I'm looking at Carolina Skiff

JVX 16 CC w/50 HP Suzuki 4 stroke
    JVX 18 CC w/70 HP Suzuki 4 stroke
    JVX 20 CC w/90 HP Evinrude 2 stroke

Good points? Bad points? Top speed w/wife an I? Limits as to where I can go with them? I've never had this type of boat before and want an "all around" boat.

Thanks for your input!

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The bigger, the better! I have a DLX 2790 on order. Just imagine how many rod holders and poles will go a 27 Ft X 103 inch beam.

Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Got a buddy that just bought a older 24' Carolina skiff...Flat bottom. That thing is huge. Its very stable and I think it is going to be great to fish out of when he gets it set up. His came with a 100 hp motor and will run in the mid 30's with his wife and 4 kids. He just installed a 80lb I Pilot and it runs that boat better than I would have thought. IF....I were buying new, I would want at least the 18'.
    Even at 24', it drafts really shallow. Those boats seem to have somewhat of a cult following on the coast. That speaks volumes to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 198 DLV, it's a fishing machine. My regular fishing buddy bought a 18 ft. JVX because he liked fishing out of mine so well. They are a good boat and they can be used for about anything. I would consider going to the 20 ft. boat as it will ride better and handle better if you get in some rough conditions. Make sure you shop around as I found some dealers were much cheaper on the same exact boat .