Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastic vs live ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastic vs live ?

I fish plastic,and cranks for crappie exclusively,but I see more folks around me using minnows.I have been tempted to toss a few minnows,but honestly,overall I do as well if not better than the minnow drowners.
    With today's plastics looking and moving like minnows or crayfish,I really can't see the benefit in dealing with live bait,am I alone in thinking this?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. I forgot how to put a minnow in a hook a long time ago. Nothing but plastics and cranks for me from now on. Your just as normal as me..
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all artificial, even in 33 degree water and mid winter. The most I will do is keep a jar of power bait honey worms in my case when the fishing gets really slow. They look like meal worms but are rubbery like an artificial and I thread them on a jig hook just like plastics. I agree I do as well or better than the live bait users and never have to take the time or money to get the minnows. I also have an odd habit of not wanting to take a life for my own entertainment. To catch and eat something I have no problem but to put something alive on a hook so that I can catch a fish that I will later release seems like a waste of a life even if it is just a little minnow. I know that's weird, just a feeling I have always had. Funny thing I feel no judgement on anyone, even a fishing buddy on my boat who uses live bait.
    Likes Bassmanatcs LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see having minnows, at times, making a difference ... but, I agree that minnows are a hassle to deal with, in comparison to artificials.

Some of the spider riggers around here are prone to using minnows almost all the time ... either on a jighead or jighead/plastics. I've done it, myself, on hook/sinker rigs, plain jigheads, & jighead/plastics ... but never bothered to test minnows against a plain jig/plastics at the same time. But, when I'm casting ... it's always with a jighead/plastics or some artificial lure.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Bought two pounds and stocked the minnow tank at the beginning of fall. I only fished with 3 dozen. They girlfriend used a few dozen when we went. I want stock it again next fall. I do as well or better on artificials. Hard to dock shoot with a minnow also. Ha
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I ONLY USE JIGS BUT ONCE IN A WHILE I THINK MY JIG ON THE HOOK DIED,LOL
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes Slabo, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I refuse to use minners
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

If you can catch them on minnows I can catch them on a jig better. I've not had any 100+ days with minnows but I do it a lot with jigs and like jack said you can't shoot docks with a minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I will have more minnows to use myself. I have tried to just use artificial but keep going back to the old standby (minnows). I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it and if it is broke it won't fix itself. I started out catching crappie on minnows years ago when artificial bait was not much more than a lucky 13 and a plastic worm with 3 hooks embedded thru the middle with a little silver spinner on the nose end for bass. There was really nothing other than what fly fishermen would have used back then to try crappie with back then. Artificial has came a long ways in the past 30 years I have to admit and I have boxes full but I still like my minnows.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Each has their place.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast