Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How deep do you spider rig?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How deep do you spider rig?

I spider rig 12' poles and typically start out with 12' of line with the rod tips 18" or so above the waterline. That put my jigs around 10'deep. I generally try to fish 1/2 way up the water column. We generally do pretty well but I have wondered for some time how shallow other guys are spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

That all depends on where the fish are a how deep the water is. You can do it in 2ft. Of water and as deep as you want. That being said I mostly spider rig pre. Spawn in. 20 to 30 ft. Of water an I'm moving pretty fast to cover water. If I'm marketing fish 10 ft . down I let out 12 feet from the jig because I'm moving that will put my jig in 9 or 10 feet. If you're not moving fast say .5 MPh. Put your jig at or just above the fish. You going to get all kinds of answers because everyone does it a little different. Just try different things and see what works for you.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally in the 10-15' range, for me. But, I have been told by some of my Spider Rigging Mentors, that they can & do Spider Rig in only a couple of feet of water. Also, they may resort to using 20' rods to do so ... rather than the 14-16' rods they are usually using.

I've been using 7-10' rods for my way of "spider rigging" ... but, am in the process of trying out some 13 & 14ft rods, to see if there's a big difference in results. Well, I WILL BE ... as soon as the lakes come back down to some more favorable levels !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've effectively spider rigged from 3' to 40' deep.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish all the way down to them

Post Thanks / Like

I was catching crappie at 2.5ft deep this week in 3ft of water, using spider rig. You do have to be quiet, I was using 12ft poles and jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Deepest lake I've trolled is 25 feet. I make sure my tips are at least 12" from water on calm day. On windy day I raise them 6" to keep them out of the waves. The deeper you troll the more angle you have on the troll line which means you have to let out more line to stay at a certain depth.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what i'm wondering is if anybody routinely sets their jigs say 4'-5' deep in 16'-20' water as opposed to the 10'-15' depth before marking fish?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaw View Post
    I guess what i'm wondering is if anybody routinely sets their jigs say 4'-5' deep in 16'-20' water as opposed to the 10'-15' depth before marking fish?
    From my experience, the fish wouldn't likely be that shallow in that depth of water ... except under some rare situations. Around here at least, it seems as though the 12-15ft range is the first depth range to check out, for the better part of the year.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that's where I've always started but when read about people long lining with jigs and cranks that only dive 5'-6' it made me wonder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast