Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Plastics or Chenille/Feather Jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastics or Chenille/Feather Jigs?

In the past I have used almost 100% plastics such as tubes, twister tails and BG baby shads on my jigs, but more recently started to use some of the chenille/feather type jigs. The plastics get torn up and and have a tendency to come unbuttoned after a strike even when super glued, causing you to reel in to check the bait, whereas with the chenille/feather type jigs you can just keep fishing. What type jigs do you guys prefer to use most often for crappies?

Post Thanks / Like

I use both about 50 50 I would rather fish will hair or feather for the same reason but sometimes they just want soft plastic. I use feather jig for docks most of the time and they work better for me on the docks. And I like to use them under a float to

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still a 99% plastics user, regardless of which method I'm using ... with one exception -- trolling. That's usually done with one rod & a marabou Roadrunner.

I don't have much of a problem with my plastics getting "pulled down" or torn up, now that I primarily use solid body plastics. But, even if I lost a plastic body on every keeper fish, I wouldn't complain. I'd just be happy that what I chose to feed'em was what they were willing to eat

I mean ... 30 plastic bodies are about equal to the same money I'd spend on 50 minners ... so I'm money ahead if I catch more than one keeper on a plastic body !!

... cp

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Started out plastic . Got to using hair . cost was putting me back to plastics . Then got hooked on Bobby Garland baits . Still use 60/40 hair ,other than baby shad .

Post Thanks / Like

Probably 60/40 for me. Depends on what the fish want. I tend more toward feathers and hair early & late in the season, with plastics overtaking in the summer months. Just have to see what's on the fish's menu for the day.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

75% plastics here. Shipsahoy41 does a jelly jig that is the best of both worlds.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    75% plastics here. Shipsahoy41 does a jelly jig that is the best of both worlds.
    Thank you my friend. Here is the thread on how to make them by just using a needle and marabou. I am 92 % soft plastic tipped with crappie nibbles rolled in garlic and anise and 8% live minnow.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...le-jig-photos/

Name:  jelly and tinsel.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  47.2 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Credit given where credit due Ship. Next time I will try to remember to spell your screen name right.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Credit given where credit due Ship. Next time I will try to remember to spell your screen name right.
    I am shipahoy41 and I approve this message.

Name:  2014 Photo.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  53.4 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes RMGeorge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

About 50/50 - towards the end of last summer it was more plastics as I started using mo's grubs!! Ctom made some to match some paint jobs and the copper w/orange glitter almost got me strangled by a few people as I kept getting bit and they weren't.