PDA

View Full Version : Plastics or Chenille/Feather Jigs?

Bugtussle
03-18-2015, 10:08 AM
In the past I have used almost 100% plastics such as tubes, twister tails and BG baby shads on my jigs, but more recently started to use some of the chenille/feather type jigs. The plastics get torn up and and have a tendency to come unbuttoned after a strike even when super glued, causing you to reel in to check the bait, whereas with the chenille/feather type jigs you can just keep fishing. What type jigs do you guys prefer to use most often for crappies?

lowe175
03-18-2015, 10:55 AM
I use both about 50 50 I would rather fish will hair or feather for the same reason but sometimes they just want soft plastic. I use feather jig for docks most of the time and they work better for me on the docks. And I like to use them under a float to

CrappiePappy
03-18-2015, 01:20 PM
I'm still a 99% plastics user, regardless of which method I'm using ... with one exception -- trolling. That's usually done with one rod & a marabou Roadrunner.

I don't have much of a problem with my plastics getting "pulled down" or torn up, now that I primarily use solid body plastics. But, even if I lost a plastic body on every keeper fish, I wouldn't complain. I'd just be happy that what I chose to feed'em was what they were willing to eat :woohoo

I mean ... 30 plastic bodies are about equal to the same money I'd spend on 50 minners ... so I'm money ahead if I catch more than one keeper on a plastic body !! :fingerdance

... cp :kewl

eagle 1
03-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Started out plastic . Got to using hair . cost was putting me back to plastics . Then got hooked on Bobby Garland baits . Still use 60/40 hair ,other than baby shad .

Crestliner08
03-18-2015, 06:29 PM
Probably 60/40 for me. Depends on what the fish want. I tend more toward feathers and hair early & late in the season, with plastics overtaking in the summer months. Just have to see what's on the fish's menu for the day. :)

DockShootinJack
03-18-2015, 06:42 PM
75% plastics here. Shipsahoy41 does a jelly jig that is the best of both worlds.

shipahoy41
03-19-2015, 06:26 AM
75% plastics here. Shipsahoy41 does a jelly jig that is the best of both worlds.

Thank you my friend. Here is the thread on how to make them by just using a needle and marabou. I am 92 % soft plastic tipped with crappie nibbles rolled in garlic and anise and 8% live minnow.
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-tying-lure-making-forum/181123-jelly-hackle-jig-photos/

DockShootinJack
03-19-2015, 06:30 AM
Credit given where credit due Ship. Next time I will try to remember to spell your screen name right. :banghead

shipahoy41
03-19-2015, 06:53 AM
Credit given where credit due Ship. Next time I will try to remember to spell your screen name right. :banghead

I am shipahoy41 and I approve this message.

Fatman
03-19-2015, 07:36 AM
About 50/50 - towards the end of last summer it was more plastics as I started using mo's grubs!! Ctom made some to match some paint jobs and the copper w/orange glitter almost got me strangled by a few people as I kept getting bit and they weren't.