Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First Time Brushpile Sinking Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Time Brushpile Sinking Trip

Got up early this morning and met my uncle at a local lake to sink a few tree tops. When i got there, he has his flat board truck , with rails on the sides, absolutely full and running over. I thought geez, this gonna take forever. It didn't . Covered five drop offs at away from five points pretty well from 4 feet down to 22 feet. The lake was down about four feet, so i figure I covered all depths pretty well. After we got the last load of brush on the boat, i noticed little planks of wood everywhere on the bed of the truck. I asked him where he got that. He is one of these guys that knows everybody and a local hardwood manufacturer gave him a bunch of culled boards, over six hundred of them. So we come back after the last load of treetops were sank and loaded those things up. Most were about two feet, some longer, some shorter and went to put those things in. We just put them out at two different places. I would just lean over the front of the boat and drive them into the mud with a rubber faced mallet. Went real fast considering it was my first time doing it. Anyways, none of them are much below the water, maybe three of four inches. He had a small piece of conduit that was capped halfway up, so I would just slide it over the stake and whack it. I put all of this stuff where I definately knew where it was as this new GPS is still taking me a while to figure out(Bekuz I izn't reel smartt). Just thought I would share this. Fixing to go to a buddies house and fish his pond. Monsters in there. Take care

Post Thanks / Like

Meant to add that all brush was sank with concrete "Feet" formed in a rubber style plant container used in nurseries in the area. My uncle would pour the concrete, attach a section of nylon rope to two gutter nails and poke them in the wet concrete. He says he and my grandfather have done this since the 50's. My grandfather is the one that i wrote the Moose length novel a few months ago who taught me about Crappie fishing and taught me to enjoy it before he died in 1984. Take care all.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You an expert now

I am going tomorrow. Don't know if I will put out brush, or go fish, or both. Plummer finally arrived. He is here now (installing new water heater). I could do it myself, but just didn't want to screw with it. haha. Maybe chat later today......see ya
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Fatboy show me your brushpiles and I'll show you how to catch crappie. "on jigs that is" Where did you put them, on Woods or Normandy?

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhhh, now that is the question now isn't it? Seeing as how you know three lakes are real close and one is only 40 minutes away. HeHe.

Post Thanks / Like

careful on too much info!!!!!!!!!!
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Careful on not enough info as well!!!!!!!!!!
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I also thought about putting out some brush in a few areas, I need to get off my butt and do it. If you ever need help putting anymore out, let me know, I'll be sure to leave a few fish there for you to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom:

Did you show Fatboy your pile driver that you showed me. That big iron thing that was in the back of your truck bed? Now that would work good in driving those boards into that shallow water mud.

I think you showed it to me that afternoon before Big J arrived. He got there after it got dark.

I will have to get some pictures of my new PVC poles that I am going to use as a deep water stake driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I am going tomorrow. Don't know if I will put out brush, or go fish, or both. Plummer finally arrived. He is here now (installing new water heater). I could do it myself, but just didn't want to screw with it. haha. Maybe chat later today......see ya
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brushpile

Driver
    Attached is picture of driver I had made to drive PVC. Made of 3" piece of pipe with 1/2" pipe welded to it and threaded on top to add longer section where needed. T-handle threads on to the pipe section.

Can make with what ever size pipe section on bottom to drive stakes. Leave opening on the top of driver section to allow water to come up through.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville