Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Longline trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longline trolling

My home lake is ky lake in tn it has the main river with creeks or bays branching off... When you guys that longline pull into a bay do you put all your rods out and just start trolling the whole bay or do you follow contours on a map card... Just started longlineing and trying to figure some thing out. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I really do not concentrate on channels in the lakes I pull in. I concentrate on finding the depth they are in, then I try to figure out what colors they like the best. Good Luck!! DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
    Likes Tn Johnboy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I find what depth they are sitting at and stay on that contour and I only use 1 rod in my hand. Can not tell you how many I would miss if in a rod holder, but it's a lot! Have had times I had to set the hook with a huge jerk forward even using a 10' rod and so far that I end up sticking that rod out in front of me. That was to catch up with him/her! I also use a Roadrunner 1/32 Oz like 98% of the time, but I hope to be able to try some other jigs this year, but I say that every year it seems, LOL!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Best to scan your bay first and find drop offs, old river channels, structure, etc. and once you locate all the potential spots and see on the sonar what depth the fish are holding then you can set your lines out and troll the areas you previously marked on your first scan. Troll back and forth in a 50 yard square pattern. Try to set your lines to different depths at first to find the right depth and once you get a bite change all rods to that depth and keep trolling. If no bites after 30 minutes then move to next area.
    If you bay is flat and featureless then try trolling in 10-15 feet of water close to shore. It can't hurt to try to find them where the banks slope.
    Good luck!!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to figure out long line with planer boards and jigs. Would like to fish 3-5 ft deep. Thought about 1/8 oz jig with 8 foot line from planer board. Also been thinking a straight 1/32 jig no planer board. Lots of things to you with