PDA

View Full Version : New to planar boards

ducks and bucks
03-16-2015, 06:46 PM
I was hoping to get a little info on using planar boards. Haven't tried them yet, just unsure on what I might need. As far as size, are the mini's better for crappie than the regular size? Are bites easy to detect when fishing jigs? 6 or 8lb test line? What size jigs should I use? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, any help would be great!

Tommy Skarlis
03-16-2015, 08:15 PM
The best on the market: Off Shore OR-12's. (bigger ones) the smaller ones help detect really small fish better - but for the majority of my crappie fishing I prefer the OR-12's. Accept NO substitutions either - you will only need to purchase the boards one time if you buy Off Shores. To answer your other questions - I use 10lb Trilene XT - it is the line they use for all of the crankbait dive curves. As far as jig size is concerned - whatever you usually use - just clip the board on where the line in one of your standard trolling scenarios enters the water. When we took second in Florida this year - we were using 1/32 and 1/16 ounce jigs - but using in-line diving weights called tadpoles. Keep the questions coming!!!

wicklundrh
03-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Off Shore boards.. end of story!!!

NickD is a member on our site. Him and his father are the owners of Offshore boards. If you have any specific questions, I'm sure they have no problems answering them for you!

yikess
03-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Do the mini boards sink when you stop?

Tommy Skarlis
03-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Do the mini boards sink when you stop? No - they do not.

NickD
03-17-2015, 07:13 PM
I was hoping to get a little info on using planar boards. Haven't tried them yet, just unsure on what I might need. As far as size, are the mini's better for crappie than the regular size? Are bites easy to detect when fishing jigs? 6 or 8lb test line? What size jigs should I use? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, any help would be great!

We are getting ready for the Lake of the Ozarks Crappiemasters and will be pulling cranks behind #1 Tadpoles at .9-1.1mph with both The OR-12's and the OR-34 Mini boards. We like to run the OR-12's (the bigger ones) on the outside and the Mini's on the inside. The Mini boards are pretty sensitive to a bite, but the full size ones will get farther out to the side. A big benefit with the OR-34 Mini is that if you are just starting with planer boards, you can use them with any rod. You don't have to have a stiffer planer board rod to use them. As far as what you can pull with them, your options are unlimited. Any bait you can pull through the water will work on the boards. They work from a slow crawl all the way up to a Musky speed. If you check out our YouTube channel in my signature, there are a lot of videos showing you how to run both boards for Crappie, as well as other fish but the theory is still the same. All you are doing is getting your baits away from the boat and each other so they don't get tangled. Why mess around with an 18' rod long lining when you can use an 8 footer with a planer board and get 100' away from the boat? Once you get the hang of it, they are pretty simple to use. If you get some boards and have questions, send me a PM and I'll get you my contact info and we can work through any issues you have learning how to use them.

chulai1968
03-17-2015, 09:37 PM
I have 12 & 14 ft b n m pst's will these work for pulling the or12.
Thanks.

M R Dux
03-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Do the mini boards sink when you stop?

Not trying to start a disagreement with anybody here.

The OR34s will float flat on the water when stopped and will try to dive when you start moving again if you don't lift the nose of them up. I took one inch round foam insulation, cut it to the length from the back of the angled part of the board to the rear of the board, slit it 2/3 of the way thru lengthwise, and glued it on with white gorilla glue. This allows the board to ride higher on the top edge when stopped. Haven't had any issues since I converted all of mine this way.

I've had folks here PM me asking about this very issue. I like the size of the board and the features. Mine just work better now after tweaking.

Bunk
03-18-2015, 12:45 PM
mrdux, do you have a pic of your modification?

M R Dux
03-18-2015, 02:14 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m65/mrdux/IMG_0388_zpstnfbyhue.jpg (http://s101.photobucket.com/user/mrdux/media/IMG_0388_zpstnfbyhue.jpg.html)

Not a work of art by any stretch of the imagination but it solved the issue I was having. This round insulation is what we taxidermists use for reproducing bird necks. It should be available by the foot at a building supply company. The flor paint is flaking off but so what?

ducks and bucks
03-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips!

Shady
03-19-2015, 10:13 AM
What kind of distance out to the side of the boat can the OR-34 achieve?Also what replacement parts would be wise to order to have on hand while fishing?

NickD
03-19-2015, 10:25 AM
The only replacement parts you would really ever need is the black nut and screw. They best thing t do is get in the habit of tightening the nut once in a while on the bracket. It is a 6/32 screw, so you could always get a lock nut if you want, but I just use the black one that comes with it. As far a distance to the side, it mostly depends on speed and what you are pulling behind it. I can say it will get as far out as you need to, much farther than any rod would reach.

Shady
03-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks NickD

Brian Stucker
03-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Use a 7 or 8' rod. The 12' and 14' Pst's are a pain.

RCC
03-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the planer board thread. I've been tinkering with planer board, (Not offshores) for a few years now and find them fun to use. For Christmas, I asked for a set of OR-12's. They arrived in the mail box and our mail was promptly stolen. We didn't know until the Post Office reported this to us. Apparently the thieves saw the shipping box and thought they had hit the jackpot, but when they got down the road and tore into it, they had no idea what a planer board was and threw them out into the cotton field with a bunch of our other mail (mainly bills):biggrin. The postman saw the debris in the field down from where we live and thought he recognized the box so he retrieved our stuff and redelivered with a note of what happened. You can feel safe in ordering OR12's. Chances are thieves most every where will not know what they are or how to use them so your delivery no doubt will arrive safely even if the outside box is torn open. I just wish Offshore would put a note on the outside of the box "To any thief. If you steal this, you will not have a clue as how to use it, so leave this alone".

That being said, I actually haven't run them yet, but am getting the itch. We have been vertical jigging and slow spider rigging since the water temps have been abnormally cool. A few degrees warmer and I have a few things I would like to drag behind those OR12's to see if the fish will get them. If I thought the thieves would show back up, I would hang those OR12's out on the mailbox and maybe catch a crook on them as well.

Thanks for all the posts and the attempts to make us rookies more efficient at using an awesome fishing device.

TN crappie hunter
03-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Try these no foam necessary they float like a bobber when sitting still. Before I started making these I bought another brand and they sunk when you stopped or trolled slowly pulling jigs.

Below is the original Crapper Reaper board with the Magnum board nest to it. This board will be used for pulling cranks and small bait fish it will have more pull and get your cranks further out while sitting higher in the water for easier visibility. These boards will run exactly like the smaller boards but handle cranks with no problem.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/12970/Mobile%20Uploads/CF9A3517-35FE-4EE7-9543-B7C52D40FCB5.jpg

Here is both boards sitting in a bucket of water floating upright with no foam or modifications other than the weight which will be molded onto the wire when I start selling them April 1st.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/12970/Mobile%20Uploads/B2264F1D-8FA4-4E35-8386-4CC06466C87D.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/12970/Mobile%20Uploads/7284B051-470B-40A6-B8FA-AC89932DCABA_1.jpg

NickD
03-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the planer board thread. I've been tinkering with planer board, (Not offshores) for a few years now and find them fun to use. For Christmas, I asked for a set of OR-12's. They arrived in the mail box and our mail was promptly stolen. We didn't know until the Post Office reported this to us. Apparently the thieves saw the shipping box and thought they had hit the jackpot, but when they got down the road and tore into it, they had no idea what a planer board was and threw them out into the cotton field with a bunch of our other mail (mainly bills):biggrin. The postman saw the debris in the field down from where we live and thought he recognized the box so he retrieved our stuff and redelivered with a note of what happened. You can feel safe in ordering OR12's. Chances are thieves most every where will not know what they are or how to use them so your delivery no doubt will arrive safely even if the outside box is torn open. I just wish Offshore would put a note on the outside of the box "To any thief. If you steal this, you will not have a clue as how to use it, so leave this alone".

That being said, I actually haven't run them yet, but am getting the itch. We have been vertical jigging and slow spider rigging since the water temps have been abnormally cool. A few degrees warmer and I have a few things I would like to drag behind those OR12's to see if the fish will get them. If I thought the thieves would show back up, I would hang those OR12's out on the mailbox and maybe catch a crook on them as well.

Thanks for all the posts and the attempts to make us rookies more efficient at using an awesome fishing device.

Great story! We pride ourselves in being the most durable planer boards on the market, and now apparently theft proof lol. If you have any questions let me know, We've spend over 30 years perfecting the planer board, and have some new things coming, especially for crappie. I've run everything out there and I can honestly say nothing compares.
Thanks for your support, Nick