Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binding issue with older shimanos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Binding issue with older shimanos

I got my stuff ready to fish yesterday and 3 of my shimanos were sticking when I cranked the handle? I had just oiled them recently with Abu Garcia oil... Possibly to much oil? The reels are a 750 Sahara, 750 Symytre, and a 1000 Sahara (all older ones). Anyone have any idea what could be causing it? I looked up some stuff and noticed someone said the washer would swell when wet and cause binding issues? Some of these reels I got in high school and are a good 10 years old. Never had any problems. Also while I'm at it I have a newer 1000 Sahara that doesn't make any noise when the drag slips anyone know how to fix that one? Thanks in advance guys was going to order a stradic this week but unsure with my new shimano issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the older Shimano's would bind after getting wet. I had this happen to both a Stradic and a Symetre.

I can't comment on the newer models cuz my last four have all been Daiwa's.

Post Thanks / Like

over tighten cap on side

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Some of the older Shimano's would bind after getting wet. I had this happen to both a Stradic and a Symetre.

I can't comment on the newer models cuz my last four have all been Daiwa's.
    I have had this issue with every Shimano reel own, and one of them, a Sahara 3000FE was less than 6 months old, I was fishing in the rain all day and towards end of day it started like binding up , I to would like to know whats causing this.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glasseyes View Post
    I to would like to know whats causing this.

From everything I've read, it's the result of a design flaw with some of the washers. This sums it up pretty well:

Quote Originally Posted by VaCrappieMan View Post
    ... the washer would swell when wet and cause binding issues?

Google "shimano binding" or "shimbindo", and you can read for days.

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I've ever had is over oiling. I've got a bunch of Shimanos

Post Thanks / Like

I know precisely what your problem is. I had it occur on a Symetre and a Sahara, both older models. If you remove the spool, you'll see a hex nut on the shaft. Loosen that and take off the top of the reel. Underneath you will see a large rubber ring that supports the reel head that the spool covers.

Chances are that it is worn out. Inexpensive to replace and once you find the part number on the particular reel model you have, you can google Shimano Parts and you'll find plenty of good suppliers. I got mine in like 3 days and it wasn't expensive.

It is a design flaw and from what I gather, it's been corrected with the new models. Which is why they kicked up their price by $20.00 on all their reels! Another reason why I'm now favoring Pflueger Presidents.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I love my shimano reels and it seems like every time I fish in very wet weather, rain or heavy fog, if I'm out all day in it I have the problem. Now it almost seems like the dampness is getting into the housing and washing off the gears, I don't know . But when reeling in this weather when it happens it feels to me like a gear problem .I will have to take reel apart at home and put a little grease back in and then problem is gone, so if it is something else I could be taking care of when I took it apart. I really don't have a clue but wish there was a person that had a sure answer.I must have a different problem than what crestliner is describing my sahara is only two years old. You can feel the gears grinding , or catching on inside of reel.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

X2 with Crest - If that ring is worn out water will go right down the shaft into the housing and it will sound like the gears are cranking.

I've personnally never had it happen, I've got Shimano's from the 80's right up to the one I got in Oct. Do the search dbd posted you can read a lot!!
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing you might want to do (anyone having this problem) is to get some faucet grease from the hardware store. This is a waterproof grease that is obviously used on faucets. I applied it to both rings before re-installing. Not sure it does any good or not, but it certainly can't hurt.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast