Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Almost time!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Almost time!

Winter here in the northeast has been the worst I've seen since the 50's! The extreme cold plus the snow every other day or so has really made it quite unbearable. However, there is always light at the end of the tunnel and our daytime temps are rapidly getting up into the low 40's.

The 12 footer, turned over on it's trailer, has finally lost it's 2'+ of snow! The 4' snow piles are receding rapidly as well, although there is still about 1'+ on the lawn in the back yard. The local ponds, lakes and every our main Ct. River is still ice covered. Hopefully, if Mother Nature co-operates and temps stay above 40 during the daytime hours, we'll be seeing open water by the first of April. Very late spring indeed.

Got all my rigs set-up and ready to go. Tackle has been organized and next week, we'll taking a trip down to the Cabela's in CT.. There I'll probably spend way too much on plastics - again! Getting pretty "antsy" here as a lot of you can suspect by this.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, the snow on the lakes and ponds is darkening; gotta be getting spongy in places. Lots of edges, particularly on the north sides of the water are showing a bit of open water but the main body's are still covered. Still can't see my boat but at least its a lump covered in snow rather than a big smooth expanse of deep snow. Once I get the firewood put up I'll probably put in a bit more time on the water this year than I did last year.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a report on the Quabbin Reservoir; Still has 18" of ice at the Windsor Dam and 23" at Gate 43! Going to be a very late opener this season.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys slow down and wait till we can catch up. Around June.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    You guys slow down and wait till we can catch up. Around June.
    At the rate we're going, it'll probably be around June down here too! Last night, the temp got down to 8 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be very interesting to see when we actually get significant open waters this spring. Season opens 3rd Saturday in April but they are usually stocking ponds and streams in mid to late March.

There's no much pond stocking going on yet, I bet, unless they are cutting through ice to do it. I'm betting they're not!
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.