Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Vinyl question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vinyl question...

Ok...I don't consider myself mechanically "declined" by any stretch. I've installed carpet on boats, and this can't be too much harder than this. I have an Alumacraft that definitely needs replacement vinyl on the console. I have bought marine grade vinyl, and am going to tear off the other, prep the surface, and recover tomorrow. My question...what type of adhesive would you use for this (as I am new to this aspect of boat repair). I have a heat gun and a hair dryer (gonna use the hair dryer more as to have less chance of melting it down), but need advice on the STICKY STUFF!
    Any help would be appreciated!

mrwillis

Post Thanks / Like

If your vinyl is cracked, replace, if just faded and nasty looking it can be dyed - very simple process.

I have used this HH-66 adhesive with great results. plus it does not break the bank to buy. First time, I got it at the fabric store where I bought the vinyl
    HH-66 Vinyl Cement - HH 66 Contact Adhesive for Vinyl

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm no help, even after doing floors for 4 yrs. I can tell you that on Iboats.com there is a section on reworking metal boats and they replace the original vinyl that was prevalent in the old Starcraft and such. You might get some helpful info there. Don't forget to bring the rest of us up to speed when you get the skinny.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Put mine on with 3M spray glue. Don't remember exact name or #. It's been on since 2003. Still stuck with no loose spots or wrinkles.