Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Black nose crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black nose crappie

Hi Craig. Was wandering how common Black nosed crappie are in Kansas. Im not sure if I have the scientific name correct. I fish a small creek that runs into Hillsdale. I catch alot of black crappie there. Yesterday, I caught one with the black/copper colered stripe starting in his back and going to his nose. I have seen pictures of these from fellow fisher folks but, always in souther states. Thanks for you time. Good fishing to you.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggedagain View Post
    Hi Craig. Was wandering how common Black nosed crappie are in Kansas. Im not sure if I have the scientific name correct. I fish a small creek that runs into Hillsdale. I catch alot of black crappie there. Yesterday, I caught one with the black/copper colered stripe starting in his back and going to his nose. I have seen pictures of these from fellow fisher folks but, always in souther states. Thanks for you time. Good fishing to you.

Snaggedagain,

Blacknose crappie are not common in Kansas waters. Seems like most of the blacknose reports I hear about come from Hillsdale. KDWPT does not and has not stocked blacknose crappie. However, private fish farms do market blacknose crappie which private pondowners can buy and stock in to private waters. During heavy rainfall events fish can be flushed from the private ponds and find their way to larger waters such as Hillsdale Reservoir.

Here's a thread from a few years back where blacknose crappie were discussed. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/ask-the-biologist/192611-black-nosed-crappie/

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one I caught this winter at La Cygne, their was another caught by a friend the day before.

Name:  black nose.jpg
Views: 4712
Size:  38.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Craig. Cool fish. Thank you for your response.

Post Thanks / Like

pretty sure those hd black nose's came from a couple ponds that were flooded first time hd filled up//

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Of the thousands and thousands of crappie that I've run across a measuring board, I've not seen one yet even during my time at Hillsdale. They are definitely an interesting looking black crappie!!

Post Thanks / Like

maybe they are shock resistant??

Post Thanks / Like

Caught them in Arkansas, Oklahoma(2.25lb) and Clinton(picture). Never have got a good explanation why they are there. <*)}}}><Name:  20140703_125917.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  29.9 KB
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER