Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Moose...I'm going to the lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moose...I'm going to the lake

We're off today so I think I'll ride up and take a look to see if any ramps are open and if the ice is off the lake. I need to check on our camp and others as well. Haven't been there since last time I went fishing. Weather is suppose to be decent for the next 4 days with temps at 60 or a little above. You know what that means don't you? I may even bring bandit along.

I'm curious if those crappie are still where I caught them last time. If the lake is open above Walls that would be a area to try with the warmer temps.

With all my years of experience crappie fishing I'm 100% sure they'll be somewhere from the bottom to the top. :D :D

For some strange reason I got the itch to get me a 14' rod for the very front of the boat. I wonder if Richard has any yet or plans for one? If not it'll probably be a B/M rod. I'll never buy another rod I can't get a replacement tip for like WM rods.

I hollar at ya later on today. You ought to be out of bed by then! :D :D I'm also feeling kinda cocky today too can you tell!

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Larry:

I would come up today but I have to go visit my mom for New Years. She has been stuck out there all week with all this snow. And today the Boilers Play Arizona State in one of the Bowl Games. I have to see my boilers play for the last time. Kyle Orton is finally healthy. When Purdue was ranked #5 in the Nation and Kyle was in the running for the Heisman Trophy he was injured and hurt his hip. He lost all his moblity and it not only effected his running but his passing as well. So he's back in 100% good health now and has plenty of rest. It should be a good game to watch as both teams are high scoring teams. It will be much like the Indianapolis Colts game last week against the Drew Brees San Diego Chargers. Now that was one of the best games I have seen in a very long time.

I hope you catch a bunch. I wish I could go fishing today. Maybe if it stays warm I can get my door fixed on my car and then go to Patoka or Lynville to try my luck.

I still can't fish my local Fish and Wildlife area yet. It won't be opened up to fishing until after Jan 21. And that is what they (IN DNR) told me back at the end of Nov. I just picked up a copy of the Waterfowl regulations and it shows that there is still some goose hunting going on after Jan 21st in the Ohio River Zone. Not sure if the DNR will close Bluegrass F&W Area for that late goose season or not. I will have to call them and find out. Yesterday I was tempted to sneak over there to Otter Pit and launch my boat. I think that I will take some time this week to try and find the leak in my live well and get it fixed. It's driving me crazy as every time I use that thing water leaks out onto the carpetted flooing and then builds up in the bottom of the boat. I need to find that leak and get it fixed. I think it's in the piping where the water is pumped to the live well. It only leaks when the pump is turned on. So it must be a pressure leak in the hose or the fittings somewhere up by the livewell.

Let me know if those crappie are still there. I am thinking that they will be out in deeper water by the river channel. I bet that if we could see though the water that we would find the biggest slabs in the river channel under the cut in the outside bend in the river channel. I need to graph that area better to see if there is brush out on the top of that dropoff by the river channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry-Southern Indiana
    We're off today so I think I'll ride up and take a look to see if any ramps are open and if the ice is off the lake. I need to check on our camp and others as well. Haven't been there since last time I went fishing. Weather is suppose to be decent for the next 4 days with temps at 60 or a little above. You know what that means don't you? I may even bring bandit along.

I'm curious if those crappie are still where I caught them last time. If the lake is open above Walls that would be a area to try with the warmer temps.

With all my years of experience crappie fishing I'm 100% sure they'll be somewhere from the bottom to the top. :D :D

For some strange reason I got the itch to get me a 14' rod for the very front of the boat. I wonder if Richard has any yet or plans for one? If not it'll probably be a B/M rod. I'll never buy another rod I can't get a replacement tip for like WM rods.

I hollar at ya later on today. You ought to be out of bed by then! :D :D I'm also feeling kinda cocky today too can you tell!

Larry
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Purdue lost Moose

Now I first went by Kings bridge on the way to the camp. Most of it was Iced over except for where the current was coming through and was it coming. Water wasn't bad color either.

Next went to Walls ramp. Most of the lake is iced over there as well except where the current was coming through. Little clearer water there.

Then to Painter Creek. It was covered with ice as far as I could see to the main lake.

Then headed to the Jackson Ramp on the north side across from the beach. This ramp was open as there were several people out fishing. One was on the channel next to the little island out in front of the big Island which ain't far from the beach. Couldn't see the other side for all the fog but could hear several boats out running.

Then I went to the dam and Lick Fork. The lake is clear in this area.

Then I went to the ramp on Lick Fork at Hy 164. The lake is clear from the ramp to the dam. The lake above the bridge is iced over.

Then I finally made it to the camp. Cover on Pontoon is ripped up front from all the snow. Hell it's 12 years old so I can't bitch too much. I left there and headed towards the house. Tommorow up there according to the radio station out of Jasper there's a 50% chance of light rain. I'll see what tommorow brings after partying tonight.

The main lake where I want to fish is probably a ok. If your interested call me tonight at the house and leave a message 812-952-3607 or leave me an E-mail. A little warm rain if it happens won't melt me. Those rain suits my son got me will keep you plenty dry. Nothing better than Navy issued Gore Tex rain gear that is insulated as well.

Lake is still below winter pool now even with all the melting snow and my boat is ready to go.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Good Report Larry:

Man it takes a lot of heat to warm that lake back up and melt that ice.

I was out at moms helping here do some things around here house. It was raining so I decided to stay inside.
    Regards,

Moose1am