Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Old boat trailer trying to register..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old boat trailer trying to register..

Got the trailer for my new/old boat from my Dad in Arcadia. He's had it for years and years. He said he had the title but after I got it all fixed up and under my boat he realizes he never did. Spent hours lookin for it yesterday evening. Guess he was thinking of another trailer of his..anyways.... What should I do to get it registered...Theres no numbers on it anywhere...has never been on the road as far as I know - had no lights on it, no plates on it nothin. I hear I may be able to call it a "home made" trailer and get The state patrol to look at it and give it a # then go to DMV. WHat a hassle.
    My only other option is to see if someone has an old trailer rusting away on their place that has a title and see if theyll donate....or for a small fee... any takers on that idea?

RMGeorge is offline Louisiana Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran into same problem last year with an old jon boat and trailer. I would up having to get the state police to inspect the trailer and a justice of the peace to issue a court order declaring me the legal owner. With both those documents I was able to register the trailer. Had to pay estimated sales tax plus penalty in addition to registration fee.
    Proud member of Team Geezer!

The grass withers and the flower fades, but the word of our God shall stand forever.

Post Thanks / Like

the Justice of the peace thing - is that for the trailer or the boat? Havent heard that one yet..

RMGeorge is offline Louisiana Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Progator135 View Post
    the Justice of the peace thing - is that for the trailer or the boat? Havent heard that one yet..
    Had to use JP for both boat and trailer. Trailer had never been registered and no paperwork existed for it. It was not a homemade trailer, though.
    Proud member of Team Geezer!

The grass withers and the flower fades, but the word of our God shall stand forever.

Post Thanks / Like

The justice of the peace is like a character witness to vouch that it isn't stolen.

Post Thanks / Like

I built a utility trailer once. Had to take it to state police and let them stamp numbers on it. Then I was able to register it. I don't remember having to go to justice of peace, but it was many years ago. Good luck.
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Pastor that was because you made it. Progater's isn't homemade. It protects an old stolen trailer from becoming legal.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was a factory trailer made for sale it should have a serial number. The probable place is under the tongue. It will be hard to convince them to make it legal. Being a welder, I once built one using great salvaged material and had it looking real nice. I had to argue my point with the State Police to get it registered. The trooper finally gave in when he realized that I had used pipe for the tongue instead of square tubing. Other than that I would have needed a bill of sale for the material used.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have to try...Ive scoured that thing top to bottom and not a number to be found. I think they would be able to tell theres no shady dealings going on - Im just trying to do the right thing and get it registered. My dad told me he knows the trooper that hangs out in arcadia and he's come to his house before and stamped on of his old trailers. My dad is pretty well known in the town for buying/selling/trading anything and everything so the trooper should know nothings fishy. He said he'll give him a call today and see if he can help us out.
    Likes prefers shiners LIKED above post