Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating jig heads?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floating jig heads?

Any tips on using these?

TIA,
    pescador

Post Thanks / Like

I've used floating jig heads for a few years now.I have used them much like the classic slip rig/ Carolina rig.they can also be used on a bottom bouncer set up,with a bottom walker sinker,allowing the baited floating jig to float on a tag line behind and above the bottom dragging sinker as you slow drift.In my opinion ( not worth much) they work best while fishing just off the bottom,but that's just how I use them the most.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input yaker, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

pescador

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought some, decades ago .... don't remember ever catching anything, though. The biggest problem I found with them was the hook ... it points DOWN ... so anything the jig drags over, it sticks into it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Drop shot with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use northland gum drop floating jigs frequently,the eyes are nearly centered on the front portion of the jig.I tie them hook turned up,fish have never had a problem eating them.Google " pics of floating jigs" you will see there are several that feature down turned and upturned hooks,good luck,fish on!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    I use northland gum drop floating jigs frequently,the eyes are nearly centered on the front portion of the jig.I tie them hook turned up,fish have never had a problem eating them.Google " pics of floating jigs" you will see there are several that feature down turned and upturned hooks,good luck,fish on!
    Yaker ... no disrespect intended, but ...

I'm not sure ANY floating jig is made to float the hook pointing up. The weight of the hook, from bend to point, almost always insures that the jig will float "hook point down". Pulling it under water with weight would not have any effect on the direction the hook is pointing.

Most all of the floating jigs have the hook coming out the center of the head/body ... but, in order for the head to float a hook pointing "up", the head would have to be all or mostly above the shank & on the same side of the hook as the hook point. And it would have to be a small, light weight hook, even then. The dynamics just don't add up, otherwise. IMHO

I reserve the right to be wrong on this, of course. But, I'd sure like to see an actual underwater picture of a floating jig with hook point "up" before I'm convinced. I would certainly be interested in purchasing such a jig, should one prove to be able to do so.

... cp
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I never explaind myself well.I wasn't meaning they would float hook up,I only stated the market offers hook up and hook down on floating jigs.I primarily fish mine drop shot style,and have convinced many more fish to commit to them,than jigs I have lost due to snags.
    Much like lead head jigs that feature upturned hooks and downturned hooks,they all have their place.I use them to attach a floating nightcrawler,while drop shotting or slow bottom trolling.The colorful jig adds to the allure,but it may not be for everyone,I do,do things odd at times

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    I guess I never explaind myself well.I wasn't meaning they would float hook up,I only stated the market offers hook up and hook down on floating jigs.I primarily fish mine drop shot style,and have convinced many more fish to commit to them,than jigs I have lost due to snags.
    Much like lead head jigs that feature upturned hooks and downturned hooks,they all have their place.I use them to attach a floating nightcrawler,while drop shotting or slow bottom trolling.The colorful jig adds to the allure,but it may not be for everyone,I do,do things odd at times

I don't mean to sound like I'm beating you up on this, but ....

I'm still not understanding your reference to jigs with "down turned" hooks .... a down turned hook on a jig defeats the purpose, which is to sink the hook point in the roof of the fish's mouth ... where it's less likely to come out or get shaken loose, like it could if stuck in the lower jaw membrane. It also defeats the purpose of keeping the hook point from sticking into everything the jig comes in contact with ... which a down turned hook would likely do. That is unless, of course, it's a floating jig or a fly fishing "fly" or popper ... where the weight of the hook point end makes it ride "downturned".

I just don't want anyone to buy a floating jig, thinking it will retrieve with the hook pointing up (like a lead head jig) and be disappointed with their purchase (like I was). And, like I said, if there IS such a floating jig that's made to hold the hook point up ... then I'd be interested in checking them out.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I think we agree,we just don't realize it.I never expected a floating jig to return hook up,I just happen to not particularly have a problem snagging them.They can be tied against the drop line to maintain a hook up profile,but I like an inch or two tag for better hook ups.In my tackle box they have a place,I use them many times for channel cat and bottom hugging trout.For crappie and gills,I use them in the drop shot fashion.
    I was also referring to lead jigs with different hook profiles that are used in vertical jigging through the ice along with horizontal jigging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast